Chapter 59 - "I need to see something good right now."

Start from the beginning

“YOU ARE A DISGRACE; I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN. YOU ARE A DISAPPOINTMENT. I… HATE… YOU. AND EVERYTHING YOU’VE DONE TO ME,” she shouted, her saliva hitting my face. I couldn’t wipe it off. “ARE YOU RETARDED AS WELL?! GET OUT, LEAVE. NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE ANYMORE. NO ONE EVER WANTED YOU! WHY WEREN’T YOU TAKEN?! I NEVER WANTED YOU!” she roared and then turned her back on me.

I couldn’t even get a train of thought in place, I couldn’t understand my mother. That was when she started throwing bags at me. All of my stuff. They had bagged up my clothes, shoes, all of my belongings and my mother was currently throwing them at me. The last bag that my mother threw hit my crutch and I lost my balance just as she slammed the door closed. I fell to the floor feeling a searing pain up my leg. I could have spewed my guts with the pain.

But instead I cried. I had nowhere to go. I had no one. No family. No friends. Yes, there was Jack, but I couldn’t depend on him. But for tonight I had to. I took my phone out from my pocket of my jeans and looked down at the time. It read 8:23pm. I swallowed hard and dialled Jack’s number.

“Hello? June? Are you okay?” he answered the phone. “No… I’m not… I’ve been kicked out of my house. Can I stay with you for tonight?” I whispered. “I’m on my way,” he said and the line went dead. I sighed heavily. What did I have to live for anymore? Was it worth enduring this pain when there was no end in sight?

It took less than five minutes for Jack’s car to pull up on the side of the road. He ran from the car over to me, he dropped to his knees; “June, are you okay? What happened?” he whispered looking around at the bags of stuff strewn across the front lawn. I just shook my head, “I can’t get up, and I definitely can’t carry all of this stuff,” I whispered. Jack immediately helped me to my feet. I smiled my thanks as he began piling the many bags of my life into the boot of his car.

“I will stay only tonight, I cannot intrude for longer than that, so please don’t ask me to,” I told him as I sat back into the front seat. Jack just looked at me, his face was torn. “Just please,” I whispered and held my hands tightly together. “Okay…” he whispered and started the car. It took fifteen minutes to get to Jack’s house.

When we arrived his mother was all hugs and cups of tea. And of course I acted politely, but come 9:30pm I excused myself to leave to go to sleep. I could see the looks of pure pity on both Jack’s and mother’s faces, but I couldn’t say anything. Tomorrow was going to be a tough day. Jack’s mum, Eileen was her name had told me I could have one of her suitcases so that I didn’t have to drag around all of my belongings in the flimsy plastic bags.

I trudged up to the spare room where Jack had kindly put all of my stuff. I leaned my crutches up against the side of the bed and somehow managed to put everything into the suitcase. I didn’t want to be here, in this town that had practically ruined my life. It was about midnight by the time I was sure that everything was in the case and that I was ready to leave straight after the funeral. Because that is exactly what I was planning on doing.

I was going to say goodbye to Summer, goodbye to Jack, goodbye to life. I never wanted to see that horrible woman that I called my mother.