I felt so good that I even grinned. That's when I saw Copper make a mistake. His sword was too high, even though it was too heavy for him in the first place. The guard took advantage of it and put a blade right through his middle. I saw it all in slow motion as the light left Copper's eyes. He didn't even have the time for a last word. I turned on that guard so quickly I was surprised when he dodged the dagger thrown at his head. He turned on me and I walked to Copper, taking the sword out of his hand carefully.

Ralphus came up behind me, swinging his sword lazily. "You're trapped. Give up."

"Not likely." I hurled a dagger at his heart and he leaned fast enough for it to only catch his shoulder. I called the blade to hover over my shoulder. "Try me."

They both attacked me and it took me too long to find the right balance. Turning and fighting, a blade in each hand. They cut me up in more than one place, but never deep enough to stop fighting. I fight to the last. When I felt more focused, my second dagger even floated around, trying to find the place of most damage. It found home in a few minor injuries, but I felt the guard tiring. It would be easier soon. Just hold on, Guin.

Disrupting my focus, I heard a voice call out to me. "Guin!" Alix said in an anguished tone.

I ducked, feeling Ralphus' sword swing right where my neck was. Alix's voice distracted more than just me. My flying dagger found home in the back of the guard's knee and went through, landing in my hand. He was forced to kneel in front of me, and I had a hard time looking at him. He was incapacitated enough that his sword dropped to the ground, and his body was soon to follow.

I turned on Ralphus, who saw the last of his hope fade. Fear was written all over his face as he turned to run away from me. I thought he was running towards the door, but his sword hand flew out at the last second, tilted right at Blade. "No!" I called out. I couldn't lose him, too.

Ralphus' sword met Blade's with a clang, and one of them fell to the floor. I watched as a curved sword hit the ground with a resounding thud. I looked up and Ralphus had Alix locked in front of him, a sword to his throat. "Do you want another death on your hands, Princess?"

"No," I whispered. I put my hands up beside me.

"Why would you bring him here?" He laughed. "There are others who are just as good with a sword. Love is the worst weakness. Bringing him into danger, you've made yourself weak, too. And now you're both going to die for it."

"No. Please. I'll do anything, just let him go," I begged. I couldn't have Alix's death on my hands, too. The idea made me sick inside.

"Kneel before your true king."

"Don't—do it," Alix gasped out as the sword at his throat grew tighter. "Not...worth." He retched.

I got on one knee and kneeled. "Let him go."

"That's not nearly enough. I could kill you where you kneel. Then the throne would truly be mine." He smirked, and I wanted to separate his presumptuous head from his shoulders.

"No. You couldn't," I said quietly.

"I am the king. I can do whatever I want."

"You need me. Being a royal is about more than just yourself. It's about legacy. Maeve could never produce a royal heir and you know it. The law says a child has to have royal blood to be the heir. I'm the last one with any royal blood."