25: The Worst Monster

The smell of pancakes wafted through the room as I woke up the next morning. Already, I knew Alix was in the kitchen. I groaned, lifting my head to look for him.

He poked his head out of the kitchen. "Hey! I thought you'd wake up later, so I was making pancakes. You like pancakes."

I rested my head on the side of my pillow. "You don't have to baby me. You're not a nanny."

"I've been doing other stuff, too. But I want to do this for you. And I like pancakes, too, so this is really just an excuse. They're celebration pancakes! Because you look a lot better."

"I feel a lot better. All thanks to Key getting me some magic," I said.

"Yep." He disappeared back into the kitchen. "Pancakes are almost done. Just give me a second."

I sat up on his bed when he brought out the plates. He had stacks of pancakes on them but no maple syrup, just butter and some fruits. He handed it to me and the plate was still warm on my fingers. "Thank you so much," I said.

"It's no problem. But we have to eat it here, because I don't really have space for a table. Sorry."

"You could have told me. I could have helped you, and for years you never told me." I started cutting up my pancakes and chewing small pieces. Even I was amazed at my lack of pain. It felt amazing.

"I never needed your money. We've survived, and gotten used to the space."

"You're sleeping in your own bed tonight," I insisted.

"No way," he said, shaking his head. "I'm sleeping down here." He got onto his knees on the floor stubbornly.

"Get up here and eat your pancakes, you idiot." I laughed, scruffing up his hair. He tilted his chin up with a smile before getting back on the bed and sticking a huge bite of pancake in his mouth.

"It-iot?" he said with a grin with his cheeks full of pancake.

I nodded. "Completely." I ate some more pancakes. "These are really good."

"An idiot who's a good cook," he said with a another silly grin.

"A cocky idiot," I countered with an eyebrow raise and a small smile.

"You know you love me," he teased.

"I don't know about that one," I teased back with a small smile. "Maybe if you keep cooking for me."

"That shouldn't be too hard to manage." He winked at me. We ate in silence after that, and I finished my plate of pancakes.

He took our plates back to the kitchen and then came back, sitting on the bed next to me.

"Alix... Thank you for saving my life, however many days ago. I owe you a great debt," I said formally, folding my hands in my lap.

"You don't owe me anything. I was glad to do it. You might smell like tomato soup though, that part is my fault. But it was all Key and Iaan, they did the real work." He looked down at my hands shyly.

"I don't know exactly what happened or how you did it, but Key told me how badly you wanted to save me, and I have a feeling you're the reason I'm here."