10: The Supernatural

Sometimes, it felt like I had the world on my shoulders. The Magia seemed to need me everywhere. I knocked on Capo's door, blowing the hair out of my face. I was out of breath because I had sprinted from the Planning Room, and was sorely in need of a break.

"Come in."

I walked into the poorly lit room, where Capo was sitting at a desk with a huge map of the city behind him. "Sit down." His hands were folded in front of him and his gaze was piercing. His eyes were always intense, no matter when you caught him. He never seemed tired.

"You called for me?" I tried to keep eye contact with him, but he seemed to never blink. His eyes were too far away to make out their distinct color, but I already knew they were a light brown. Sometimes he let his guard down, and that was when I saw who he truly was.

"I did. I reviewed your choices for The Royal Assignment, along with the reports on Key's progress." The former had been weighing much more heavily on my mind, I barely even thought of anything else. "You've handpicked individuals mostly from your own Department of Stealth and DODistribution. All women, mostly smaller."

I straightened my back, speaking in a serious tone. "I need inconspicuous people." Ones who won't go through with a murder. "Ones who can sneak in, get the job done, and get out quickly." People who won't question me. "Especially from my own Department. I know them well and think they will be well-suited to this mission."

He nodded. "I see. Your selections are approved. I can always tell you put thought into the people you lead."

"Yes, I do. I'll begin informing them immediately." I began to get up before I saw the look on his face and sat back down.

"I wasn't finished. Your selections are approved, with the addition of Key, so she can watch you in true action. And Blade. You need a weapons expert."

This reminded me an awful lot of my last mission. Unfortunately, Capo gave even less room for argument than Maeve did. "I'm good enough with weapons. Give me a different weapons expert, if you have to," I protested. "Two more is too many, anyways. I don't see how I can sneak so many people in."

"Good enough is not good enough. You need someone truly capable with weapons. Blade is the best. It's your job to make him stealthy. You need him." I do not need him, I thought to myself, but did not dare say it aloud.

"And I don't think Key is ready for...something like this," I protested. This was a true sentiment. She was still too young and inexperienced. I had been ten on my first mission, and I had practiced so much I was bored of it, practically begging to go out.

"That's your job as well. You're training her. Make her ready. You're a Department Head. If you have a problem, fix it. Even if you have to force the pieces into place, I expect you to have the puzzle done." I stayed silent, hoping he would change his mind, even though I knew he would not. "You're dismissed. Inform your group of their positions. And find Key. You've done much better training this time. You remember what happened last time. Make sure that doesn't happen again."

I was almost out the door when I looked back, my hand stopping on the doorframe. "Why do you care about Key? She's just one kid."

"You were 'just one kid' once. Look how good you are now. She needs you, and I see the potential for her to be a great resource or a deadly enemy. She can be used, if trained properly."