26: Morgana's Day

After days of boredom, Alix brought me a present. I spent much of my time drawing to try and bat away the boredom and dark thoughts. I tried to stick to happy subjects like nature and scenery, but oftentimes the darkness seeped into my work. I threw it all away after so I never had to see it again. I was feeling positive on this day though, sitting across from Alix. It was hard not to be when he had such a bright, goofy smile on his face.

Codie had come home from school earlier and was now doing homework on her bed. She did not look over at us much. I was reading and Alix was fiddling with his thumbs, possibly in some sort of deep thought. Key was here too, sitting on the floor with Copper, who had also made an appearance. They were playing checkers, occasionally screaming and scaring the rest of us half to death. It was a Friday, so the whole gang was hanging out at Alix's house.
Because were a small gang. With not much place else to go.

I was sitting on Alix's bed when he came over, holding something from behind his back. He took it out and presented me with a package wrapped in paper. "I didn't want to do this with so many people here, but...open it. It's for tonight. I've got something special planned."

Everyone turned to look at us, and I saw his cheeks flush a bit. I raised an eyebrow and he laughed. "Oh, shut up," he said. "It's nice. It's a bit of pressure now, but I think you'll like it."

"I helped pick it out!" Codie piped up with a grin.

"Then I'm sure I'll love it, sweetheart," I told her. I opened the package and out fell a beautiful piece of silk. I held it up to see it catch the light in beautiful ways, and saw that it was a dress. It was a soft orange that was bold but not too vibrant. With a knee length cut and easy v-neck, it was simply beautiful. "Oh my. Thank you so much."

"I'm glad you like it," Alix said. "I thought it might be fitting tonight."

"Today? Is it...?" I asked slowly.

"Morgana's Day? May first? If that's your question, then yes." He nodded.

Codie interjected, "It's my favorite holiday."

"You say that every holiday," Alix teased her.

"This one, I mean it," she insisted, pushing aside her homework. "It's so pretty. The lights and the castle."

I smiled widely and said warmly, "And I'll be a part of the color, thanks to you. Thank you, sweetheart. You have wonderful taste."

"If only I could get a little bit of that gratitude," Alix mumbled teasingly under his breath.

"Gratitude?" I laughed at him. "You wouldn't know gratitude if it came up to you and gave you a big kiss."

"Well. It wouldn't hurt to try, right?"

I laughed at him some more before I pulled on his collar and brought him close. I kissed him softly but his tongue was in my mouth pretty shortly after.

I could hear cheerful laughing, and Copper saying, "Break it up, lovebirds. There are children present."

I pulled away from Alix, and I laughed, too.

"It's okay," Codie said seriously. "I've read it in books all the time. They used their tongues, too." She talked with a completely straight face, and I could tell she truly meant it.