31

"Is she tiny?"

"Yeah she's really small Des. Smaller than you were even."

Destin bounced in her seat as the lights of the hospital came into her vision. Yara shook her head at her niece as she sighed. At six months pregnant she didn't expect for news like this to come her way especially as things were just going well in her life. She'd only just got off of her flight four hours ago and had already picked up Aya's car and child. She was needed now and she would make herself available.

Vashti had to take care of things at the shop , so Yara took over.

Parking near the entrance, Yara eased herself out carefully before she grabbed her niece's hand and walked into the chaos which was the maternity ward where they had moved Aya that morning.

Passing the bassinets in the nursery Destin placed her face against the glass and looked at all the babies that came into her view. About fifteen little bundles were wrapped up and looking blindly around the room.

"Which one is Dior?"

Big brown eyes focused on Yara's face but a deep voice answered the question before she could.

"That little angel over there." Devin brought himself down to Destin's height for a bit before he pointed out Dior who was laying quietly at the front , a small sleepy grin on her face.

"She looks like she's happy to see you."

As a smile spread across Destin's face , Yara stood still and watch Devin admire the child before he brought her in for a bear hug and kissed her forehead. She couldn't help but to see the worry that crossed his eyes. He was traumatized and she knew he wouldn't talk about it.

"I missed you princess." He sighed before he released her and took her face in his hands.

"I missed you too daddy, are you okay? Where's mommy?"

"I'm great now Des." Devin cleared his throat before he stood up and gave Yara an appreciative nod.

"Thanks for coming Yara."

"No Devin , I had to be here. You should probably take her to Aya. I'll be in soon , I just need to make a call really quickly."

Having your life flash before your eyes was a feeling Devin had felt twice , he didn't want it again. As he watched Destin bouncing excitedly on the side of him he felt his heart ache. What if something had happened to Aya? How would he look at that face and tell her?

Tears threatened to come to his eyes as he tried to remove the thought. As they neared Aya's door he took Destin into his arms and nudged the door open. Inside two police officers were speaking to his drained wife. She looked agitated and so did they. However as soon as her eyes met her daughter's Aya brightened.

Setting Destin next to Aya , Devin couldn't relish in the sight of his daughter embracing her mother. Instead his eyes were trained on the officer.

"What's the problem officers?" The edge to his voice put everyone in the room on alert as he tried to steel himself to accept whatever news was about to come his way.

"Well sir we just had a few more questions for Mrs. Booker pertaining to her brother's whereabouts?"

Devin rolled his eyes as he sighed. How many times would they have to go over this?

"She already told you she doesn't know. She's been through a lot I'd appreciate if you gave her time to rest and heal or is that too much to ask?"

"DEVIN!"