30

The phone blared off at 1 am that night, waking Vashti before she scrambled for her cellphone and stared at the unknown number. The ringing woke her brother Jared who stormed into her room fearing the worst. Early morning calls were never good news.

"Hello?"

Her voice was soft, tired as she rubbed her eyes and tried to garner her surroundings. Jared stood in the doorway blinking rapidly to see in the dark as he watched his sister's shoulders go tight.

"Yes, this is Vashti Hollis, why?"

He couldn't hear what was going on but the terror that saturated and distorted her features let him know that he needed to sit up.

"Oh my God, yes I... is she okay? God please let her be okay!"

Her voice was rushed as she got out of bed and began to pace the floor and her body began to shake. She began to hyperventilate as she nodded her head vigorously to each word the person said on the phone. Tears sprang to her eyes soon and Jared got closer and held her arms to try and steady her as he searched her face for a clue.

"Which ... hospital?"

Vashti managed to choke out as she looked down at the floor and tears sprang to her eyes.

"Okay, okay I'll be there soon. Wait, what about the baby?" Vashti broke from Jared's grip as she walked towards her closet, he didn't hear what was said or her response but as he watched her come out with puffy cheeks and tears streaming down her eyes. He knew it couldn't possibly be good news.

"Sis, what's going on?" Jared asked as Tea shook her head to herself while looking for her keys. Stopping once she found them in her doorway, she wiped her tears back and took a big inhale before she spoke.

"Where's Destin?" The stare she gave him made his insides go cold.

"She's sleeping still, why? Did something happen to Devin? Was that Marquese?"

Another wave of sadness flowed over his sister as she leant against the door and quietly sobbed but shook her head. Devin, how could she tell him this? When could she tell him this? They weren't due back into Arizona until tomorrow but she had to tell him before the news did.

"Vashti" Jared's voice was low as he approached his sister "What is going on?"

With wide eyes Tea gazed up at her brother and slumped her shoulders before she gripped her keys and exhaled.

"Aya's in the hospital, something happened. Jared I just need you to, uh." Her speech stopped as her mind raced to Destin's face, she couldn't tell this to a six-year-old. It was really tearing her up inside.

"Just take Destin to our mother's, I'll call you both when I know more. I've got to go."

Vashti finally managed to get out her thoughts as she proceeded to her living room and grabbed her bag with Jared on her heels.

"Tea, can you even drive?" Concern was written all over his face as he watched her buzz around the room frantically. Eventually he reached out and grabbed her keys.

"Look I'll get Destin, I'll drop you at the hospital then take her to mom's. There's no need for you to end up in a hospital too."

Looking into her brother's face and taking in her own countenance Vashti knew to cut her loss. Yet the whole ride over she couldn't bring herself to look at Destin's bundled up sleeping frame, she couldn't believe things had happened this quickly.

Jared pulled up to the emergency room of the OASIS Hospital and watched as Vashti numbly got out of the car. Reaching out to her he lightly grabbed her hand breaking her focus and forcing her to look at him.