57 - Megan

Abbie was an easy baby. The biggest challenge was getting her to stay awake long enough to eat. After her first visit to the pediatrician, her color was better and the blood results showed improvement. She had also gained a few ounces which was good because she was down to just six pounds at discharge. She hoped that Sophie and Nick would stimulate her to stay away longer. The bigger she got the more energy she would have to eat.

Megan had already arranged for a professional grade pump so she could store milk for when she went back to work. She had a deep freeze on the back porch which they purchased when the twins were babies for just that reason. More recently it contained Popsicles in the summer and lots of frozen convenience foods for the single mother of two.

The first week flew by in two-hour increments. Every two hours she was feeding again. The twins were good sports, but they were bored. Normally they were more active during their vacation week. They had visitors - her father, Karen with her girls, Victoria who was the hit of the week. She asked her to come back every morning for a few hours and paid her to play with them. The weather was nice for April, so they spent time on the beach.

She hadn't seen Peter all week, not that she ever did. Still, he could have stopped by to see Abbie, but she figured he was too busy working. She had learned from Victoria a little about the hours he kept. She explained that he wasn't home until seven or later. She wondered if he liked his job that much or if he had nothing else to do. Did he feel lost during the week, much like she had on the weekends? Not anymore, because she had Abbie. On Thursday night, she texted him to ask if he wanted the kids on Friday night. They were not sleeping well and thought they would probably enjoy some extra time away from the baby.

His response was yes, I'll swing by after 5. He didn't always work late. She asked if he had a busy week.

"Typical. How's it going here?" He picked up Abbie.

"We're settling in. Do you even realize that you pick her up every time you see her?"

"I'm sorry. Should I ask?" He looked embarrassed.

"No, it was just an observation. Does she seem bigger to you?"

"She does and her color is much better. She's looking at me." He smiled.

"She is more awake and very alert." Megan felt proud.

She spent her first weekend alone with her baby. Even though she was technically on maternity leave, she had a huge stack of exams to grade. She had taken them home with her that last day. She tackled the pile slowly between Abbie's feedings and their mutual naps. Luckily her detailed instructions were ready for whoever took over her classes.

On Monday, they had a new routine and the twins no longer needed aftercare services. She walked to the bus stop with Abbie tucked into the stroller. The twins loved coming home in the afternoon. The week sped by and Abbie was suddenly two weeks old.

When Peter came for the twins again on Friday afternoon, she asked about his father.

"He wants to see me, which is what I suspected all along. He's living down in Portsmouth. I told him that I was too busy right now."

"Are you?" She was curious, because she hadn't heard from him all week again. He appeared on Friday, spent some time with Abbie and repeated it on Sunday. Then he disappeared all week. Suddenly it bothered her, and she didn't know why.

"We're getting ready to release a new study, but I'm just putting him off, because I'm not ready to deal with him."

The following week, Megan was feeling better. She took Abbie for nice long walks. One day they met Kristi for coffee. Alice took Abbie and didn't bring her back until she started rooting.