Chapter 5 - The Unexpected

Start from the beginning

"I don't know if I should-"

I took his hand and placed it where he could feel the baby's feet.

"Does it hurt?"

I laughed at how clueless he was. "No, it's a bit uncomfortable, but I like feeling them kick most of the time. Lets me know they're really there."

He grinned, moving his hand up a little.

"Woah..."

"Mrs. Jackson." we suddenly heard from behind us.

Javon hurried to remove his hand. A nurse stood at the balcony door, her hands placed on her hips.

"What are you doing out of bed?" she questioned.

"I needed some fresh air..." I answered. "I'm going crazy in my room."

"If Dr. Holden finds out, we're all dead. Let's take you back."

I pouted and let her wheel me back to the room.

When we reached the door, I was surprised to find Dr. Moore waiting for me.

"Dr. Moore?" I called. "What are you doing here?"

"Mrs. Jackson! I have news..."

"You need to get back in bed." the nurse ordered.

"This is more important," I shot her a look, then turned to the doctor. "Well?"

"Your husband, we believe he's about to wake up... I thought you should be there when it happens. There's new brain activity, a lot of it."

The tears were already running down my cheeks. "Really?"

He nodded.

I looked at the nurse, "Can I go? Please..."

"I'm going to have to ask her doctor..." she told Dr. Moore.

"You know he won't agree. Please. This is my husband we're taking about... I won't get up from the wheelchair, I swear!"

"Alright... But I want you back here for lunch and your afternoon checkups."

I nodded. "Thank you..."

Javon pushed the wheelchair through the hospital halls, the smile on his face never disappearing.

He squeezed my shoulder, "I knew he'd come back."

~

It's been a few hours. And except for a few movements here and there, nothing about Michael changed.

"He's not waking up..." I sighed.

"It takes time. I'm sure it'll happen soon," Dr. Moore told me. "Look, he's dreaming again..."

I saw Michael's eyes move from underneath his lids. I held his hand tighter and kissed it.

"Come on, wake up..."

My back was starting to hurt. Maybe leaving my room wasn't the best idea.

Javon cleared his throat, "I should take you back. This isn't good for you."

"I'm not leaving him, Javon."

"Maybe I should get Dr. Holden, then..."

He sounded... Jealous? What the hell?

Just then, Michael squeezed my hand. I looked back at him.

"Mike," I whispered in his ear. "Wake up, please. It's me, Angela... You're almost there... Come on."