1.6

The Fray- How to save a live

I tried

Mona felt like her life was stuck on pause and she couldn't hit play

After she found out that Hannah wasn't coming back, she blamed herself. She knew, she knew she wasn't happy and she didn't tell anyone. She could've done more.

"Baby." Scott pushed some hair out of her face as he crouched in front of her. "This was on your doorstep." He gently placed a covered shoe box in her hands.

Confused she examined the box, shaking it to hear the contents colliding with the inside. "What the hell?"

She opens the box and tips it over, letting everything fall into her lap. "Tapes?"

"Who's it from again?" Scott picked up a tape and gazed at it, the number 7 in blue nail polish looking back at him.

"There's no name."

He whistled as he placed the tape back in her lap. "Creepy." He sang.

She hit his arm and looked at a tape. "I think i have a tape recorder upstairs." She gathers the cassettes in her arms and hurried up the stairs.

"Wait for me." Scott jumped off the couch and followed her.

Tossing the tapes carelessly on her desk, she scans her room for the small device before she pulls a box out from her closet. "What do you thinks on them?" Scott watches her place in a tape.

She shrugs "we're about to find out." She looks in his eyes and hits play.

"Hey, it's Hannah, Hannah Baker."

•|•

Mona sat on her bed completely ignoring the fact that it was four in the morning and she had school.

She's been listening to these tapes since she got them, now on someone's she thought would never make the list, Clay.

"Clay, Helmet, your name does not belong on this list," Mona sadly chuckled as she hears that ridiculous nickname. "But you need to be here if I'm going to tell my story, well you and Mona; but that's for another tape."

"If I'm going to explain why I did what I did. Because you aren't every other guy — you're different. You're good. And kind. And decent. And I didn't deserve to be with someone like you." A tear slipped down Mona's expressionless face, Clay is so in love with her, and the fact that Hannah didn't think she was good enough killed both of them. Hannah was more than enough.

Mona wonders what is going on in clays mind, she knows he's overthinking everything. Everything he did or didn't do, everything he said or what he didn't say.