At least, if I wasn't careful.

Which was why I took periodic breaks at parties.

As the attendants of the party danced in dizzying speeds, I made my way to the balcony on my own. One of my guards, Elvina, stayed close but didn't join me, giving me the privacy I desired.

Mehnit trotted next to me as she followed to the balcony. She sat as soon as I reached the railing of the balcony and sat facing the crowd in the room. She was on high alert, unused to the number of people around us.

I scratched her head to reassure her. "Wonderful job, Mehnit."

She pushed her nose against my fingers but straightened immediately after, still watching the guarded doors to the balcony.

I sighed as I looked out over Kingstown beneath the Keep. I gnawed on my bottom lip. I wanted to tell Damien, I really did, but embarrassment made me bite my tongue.

The dreams I was having seemed like dreams. They weren't anything like when Robyn invaded mine in the weeks or months I had been trapped in his solitary mansion in the woods. Because of how frequently he did it when I was finally away from him, I was able to distinguish when dreams were products of my imagination or magic. Damien had flat-out denied my suspicion. Asmo wasn't a Dreamwalker.

And if he was, the dreams could have been far worse.

But they weren't. There were worse things than having dreams of kissing an incredibly attractive man.

Gods. I put my face in my hands. Maybe I was just desperately lonely.

And the last person I was going to admit that to was Damien. Best friend or not. As much as I wanted things to go back the way they were before we initiated anything romantically, there were still some things I couldn't admit to him. There were things I couldn't comfortably share with him, at least not anymore.

For example, having dreams--normal, human, normal dreams--about making out with his cousin.

As uncomfortable as the dreams made me.

I groaned as I pulled my cheek with my fingers. Gods, I was pathetic.

I wasn't sure how long I was outside on my own. I was practicing my magic on the sprites, watching them go this way and that at my will when I heard someone approach.

"Alteaza."

When I turned, I found Asmo, of all people, bowing respectfully.

I cleared my throat, still uneasy. "Hello, Asmo."

"I see you're avoiding the party as usual."

I shrugged, touching a sprite with the tip of my finger as it approached. "It's not my thing."

He sighed, seeming a little more at ease. "Mine neither."

I frowned but didn't turn towards him. He didn't seem to be uneasy at all during the party. That was unusual. "Really? You seem to be right at home."

He sat down on the bench on the balcony, seeming to put his full weight in it as if in exhaustion. It was like he was at ease. He unbuttoned his jacket as he sat, leisurely leaning back in his seat. "They're all very dull. I only do it to keep up with appearances."

I couldn't tell if he was lying or not.

I cleared my throat, trying to keep to business. "Do you think the new Council Member will fit right in?"

He seemed to chuckle. "He's as bloodthirsty as the rest of us. Yes, he should."

I snorted. "I hardly believe you or the Council to be bloodthirsty. All I've ever seen you do is argue about taxes."

When I turned to him, he had a smile as he looked to the city like I did. "How sheltered you are, Emylin."

I frowned as he approached the railing next to me. Mehnit didn't move which meant he didn't pose a threat. She continued to watch the doors with rapt attention.

"Damien doesn't want to show you the real dealings of the Underworld." He shrugged. "Just as well. I can't imagine what would happen if you did see the inner happenings of the Council."

I shook my head. "I know your games, Asmo. You're trying to cause a rift between Damien and me. It won't work."

He didn't look at me, instead, he placed his hands on the railing. He placed his hand palm up and as he did sprites began to gravitate in his direction. "Is that what I'm doing? I thought I was informing the Queen of the Council's decisions made in her name." He looked at me. "If you and Damien intend to marry, you will be queen and you can't stay in the dark forever."

I bit my tongue. Asmo didn't need to know anything about Damien and me. "Consider me informed," I answered plainly. "I know you're old enough to be my great-grandfather but you can stop scolding me now, it's annoying."

He laughed heartily closing his hand into a fist. "I apologize, my queen."

My queen, he always said. It still sent shivers down my spine.

"Fine, no talk of business then. Have you considered my gift?"

I reached out to a sprite and without a fuss, it landed on my extended hand. They always brought me such peace. "You mean you're going to release me from our bargain? How thoughtful."

He didn't hesitate and completely evaded my question. "The Magister's words. Have you considered what he said? To help the hybrid?"

In truth, I hadn't thought about it at all. With everything that happened in Skryen and school over the weeks, I didn't think about what the Magister said. "I'm still thinking about it."

"I wouldn't think about it too long." He leaned on the railing as he crossed his arms. "Who knows how much longer he will last in the dungeons. He is weak-willed and they don't last long."

I sighed. "I need time, Asmo. He gave me to Robyn like I was some sort of present. He's the reason I was tortured for--" I paused, rolling my eyes. "Gods, I don't even know how long."

"You were with Robyn for three months." He looked away, his eyes shifting towards the town below. "It took too long to find you."

I watched him as he looked away. I could sense disappointment from him. It was heavy, like a fog that rolled through me the more I reached out to him. But why?

The thought scared me.

I grabbed his shoulder turning him to me roughly. "We hadn't met yet. We didn't know each other. Why did it matter to you?"

He looked at me, a vulnerability in his eyes. "You helped me once. I owed it to you to at least find you."

He had to be lying. He was lying. Asmo was calculating, conniving and advantageous when it benefited him. He was not vulnerable, he was not capable of human emotion.

My fist shook at my side. He would not trap me again. He would not corner me and make me feel like a simpering, weak girl like before. No one else would. Those days were over. I was powerful, people had killed for that power.

I would not be weak again.

I turned away and made my way back to the party. "I will let you know when I make a decision. For now, it's still a no."

As soon as I came to the door, Elvina bowed her head. "Alteaza, there is someone here to see you."

I shook my head. "Tell the Lord of Skryen I am not available."

She shook her head, too. "It is not the Lord of Skryen, Alteaza. It's the Autumn Queen, Ix Chel. She says it's urgent."