Thirty-two • War

I thought that I finally found my peace when the hands of the man I was destined to be with caught me before I fell. Dimitrius wrapped his arms around me, expressing so much of his need of me. I knew that from this moment, he was never letting me go and so was I.

We are in this fight together with his vampires to defeat the one and only evil, Dominic.

But the peace I felt seemed to last for a matter of seconds when my heart bled more than the wounds that pained me. I was so distracted by Dimitrius' gaze that I didn't notice the war that was happening.

"Stop hurting my daughter for something I have done, you coward!"

I couldn't be mistaken by her voice, it was too familiar to confuse it with someone else. She called me her daughter, something that I never thought would be real.

Mary is my mother, the woman who carried me in her womb, the woman who gave life to me. Though my memories were vague, her love for me has always been clear. I looked up to her as my second mother, not as a palace servant but now, a new revelation, a piece to complete the puzzle of the hole in my heart.

I have found her, the woman whom I desperately wanted to see, finally, someone I can call as my mother.

The voices weren't loud screams, they were all whispers. I only saw, heard, and felt Dimitrius when he found me but the time passed and everything made sense.

My emotions were threatening to come to the surface but I could not let them, not now that I have the battle to win.

Vampires were fighting each other and I did not know whether we were on the winning side or not, some of the faces I reckoned with looked familiar and the thought of them dying, saddened me.

Then, I searched for Dominic, the heartless beast along with Mary, my mom. Where were they? I looked back and I was surprised to find myself alone, standing in the middle as if no one was noticing me. Even Dimitrius wasn't here anymore.

I blinked once more and another scene unfolded before me and I wished I had never seen it because it would surely be something that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

"Dominic, don't let your beast consume you."

"This is not the way to end all of this."

"Kill me instead."

"Who's the desperate one now, brother?"

"Kill yourself, now."

"Felicity, no!"

My heart suddenly stopped, I couldn't feel anything. The world around me spun and all I saw was darkness. No pain, no anything. Just silence and the drowning in my chest.

Their exchange of words felt like rapid fires, every second, leading to my death. The look on Dimitrius' face as Dominic captured my eyes, removed my vervain ring and compelled me to end it all.

Yet it didn't. I opened my eyes and found myself still in Dimitrius' arms and I wasn't dead. What was that I just saw? It was my own death but how?

I stood up, trying to regain my balance and Dimitrius held my wrist, he examined it like there was something going on and when I looked at it, a mark was there.