Chapter 17

Ethan's POV

There was one person on this Earth who could never lie to me. Rose Winters.
Which meant that when she pretended that everything was perfect with her new Romeo (or future Romeo), I immediately noticed that her eyes were wet from her weeping.

Besides, she once told me that Donald and her watched Netflix every evening together, so it seemed weird to me to see him refuse when Wendy proposed him to join us.
Oh and if they thought I didn't notice their glares... That's an insult to my intelligence.

It was 8 am when Rose rejoined me outside her dorm. I was sat against a wall, next to the stairs. She was still in her pj's and one thing particularly perturbed me : SHE SMELLED LIKE HIM.
She's growing so fast, I'd almost wipe a tear...

- Well, well, well, you're finally going to tell me what happened ?
- Do I have a choice ?
- You know you don't, I smirked.

She sighed loudly to communicate her disapproval, but I honestly didn't care.
She told me everything, how they immediately got along well, how she felt a little « something » for him, how she got jealous when he danced with that girl... Everything.

At the end of her speech, I had one analysis :

- Rose Danielle Winters. How... How did you get so freaking DUMB ?! Is college burning your brain cells ?
- Hey ! she hit my arm.
- You love him that's obviously obvious ! And news flash : he totally loves you too. Why is it so hard for you, young people, to understand ?
- You're only one year older, may I remind you...

I felt like I was teaching her life. I think she was refusing to see the evidence, but I didn't know why.

- Clearly, you can see and translate the way he acts when you're around. It generally means « DATE ME », isn't it ?

She nodded with a half-smile, and I knew I was in the right path.

- But you don't want to understand those signs you see. And that's what I don't get. Why don't you date him ?
- Because he hasn't asked me.
- Bullshit. I know you ; you're brave enough to ask HIM. Tell me the true reason. Are you afraid of... I don't know, commitment ? That's it ? You're scared ?

She shrugged but still seemed convinced by what I was saying, so I continued.

- You don't want to get hurt ? Or you don't want to hurt yourself ? Or both ?
- Might as well tell you since you're approaching the correct answer... she exhaled. I'm afraid I might get ill again and that he finds himself in an awful situation, having to handle a suffering girlfriend. And that's not what I want for him or for me.

I put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her tightly against me.

- Rose, I know you have troubles giving a bit of yourself to people ; because you're persuaded you've hurt everyone in our family. But you didn't. And you can't keep pushing people away just because you're afraid. Or you're already at the end of your life.

She started sobbing quietly and I just told her this last sentence :

- You won't get ill again because you're cured ; and you should enjoy your curing like every teenage girl.

I kissed her forehead and we stayed here, in our night clothes, just appreciating each other's company.

Two days later
Donald's POV

- Come on it's gonna be fun ! The whole campus is decorated and it looks amazing at night ! Chloe tried to convince Rose.
- I don't know... I'd rather watch a good old horror movie in my bed...
- You can still do that later ! Beca told her with a huge smile.

They have been trying to bring her to the Halloween Campus party for 15 minutes now. It was right after the Association's Show. The Trebles and the Bellas were going to perform individually just like every year at this time.

- You don't even have to dress up and you're not annoyed by « Trick-or-Treaters ». That's Halloween without the negative aspects !
- Hey ! Dressing up isn't negative ! Beca protested.
- And Trick-or-Treating either !
- Anyway what they're trying to say is come with us, it'll be fun, I told her.
- Okay I'll come, she mumbled.
- You what ?
- Okay, I will come Donald Walsh ! she repeated.

3 hours later

- DEAR BARDEN STUDENTS ! ARE YOU READY FOR TONIGHT'S ENDING SHOWS ?

The crowd cheered for a few seconds before the student continued :

- TWO LEGENDARY BANDS FIGHTING FOR OUR CAMPUS SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIMES... Let's introduce THE BELLAS !

Another huge cheering, a bit longer, emerged from the crowd. The lights were turned off until Beca's voice started their performance...

3 minutes later

Unfortunately, they did amazing. Now the public expected a lot from us and I just hoped we wouldn't be disappointing.
As the Bella's got out of the stage, Amy faked a mic drop and whispered :

- Crushed it.

And she left with the others. When Rose got out, she looked at me with a huge smile and said :

- At least try to keep them awake.

Then she waved at us and their group disappeared in the crowd. I deeply breathed : it was the first time I was performing as leader since Bumper was absent and also the first time I was performing in front of Rose.
That's another reason to give all you got, I told myself.
And it somehow « boosted » me since I arrived on stage with an unusual wave of confidence.