16

Carsir's POV

I hated parties.

This one, in particular, had to have been the worst one. I stood at the bar with a drink in my hand staring at Elena, hand in hand with my father. She wore an absolutely gorgeous deep emerald gown, complimenting her beautiful features. The crowd of Angels and Demons watched the pair, whispering suspiciously.

"Can I have everybody's attention?" My father asked, his voice booming across the room. The audience went silent. "Today is a special day. It is the day when our people unify and finally come together in a peaceful alliance. It is also the day I have the honour-" Alias went down on one knee and Elena took a step back, a forced smile on her face. "-to ask; Queen Elena Ambrose of the Angels, would you marry me?"

Gasps bounced around when Elena nodded, and that was it. My father slid a huge diamond ring onto her finger before pulling her into him and kissing her. My grip on my cup tightened and I set the glass down angrily onto the counter. Tears shone on Elena's cheek and would look like tears of joy to anyone else but I knew the distaste and pain that they actually meant.

"Do you want another drink?" I turned my head to see the bartender speaking to me, his head cocked to the side. He was an angel, a pretty one too. "My Lord," he added hastily.

"Just Carsir," I corrected. He smiled and brushed a piece of his bleach blonde hair behind his delicate ears. He was fragile looking, small and easy to break. The total opposite of Elena, despite her small appearance, she was strong and brave. I adored her.

"Okay, Carsir. Would you like another drink?" his voice was teasing and immediately, I recognized the flirty behaviour. And I welcomed it.

"I'd rather have a drink of you," I replied, eyes meeting his green ones. His cheeks flames and he looked away, biting his lip. Before he could respond, a hand touched my arm. I turned and saw Elena. Guilt immediately filled to the brim, what was I doing flirting with the bartender?

"Carsir," she whispered, smiling. Her eyes told me a different story. They held pain and longing because it wasn't my father she wanted. I wrapped my arms around her but kept a respectable distance between us.

"It's okay Elena. I'm here," I whispered. Her fingers dug into my back.

"Here for me? or for the bartender you were flirting with?" she asked, pulling away. A tight smile remained on her face as she walked away. I narrowed my eyes and turned back to the new drink in front of me and gulped it down.

"I'm guessing you two slept together?" the bartender asked. My eyes snapped up.

"Look," I paused to read his nametag, "Nicholas-"

"Just Nick-"

"Nick," I corrected. "Here's my number." As I said the numbers, I glanced over to see Elena and my father close together in a dance. I gritted my teeth together. "Call me." As other couples began to descend onto the dancefloor, I stormed there and tapped my father's back.

"May I cut in?" I asked. Alias nodded and handed her over to me. My left hand intertwined with hers and right held her by the waist. We followed the simple steps of the waltz, listening to the tune of the music.

"I gave him my number," I said. She stiffened, looking past my shoulder.

"Why are you telling me this?" she asked quietly. My eyes traced over her exposed collarbones, the milky white skin adding the slightest glow to her body. As odd as it sounded, it had to have been one of the sexiest parts of a woman. The delicate innocence they gave, soft skin enticed me. "I never slept with Linc, Carsir. Why don't you believe me?"