15

Mature Content Warning (18+)

I woke up the next morning frazzled and dizzy, a pounding at the base of my skull. Lincoln's warm arm was wrapped around my waist and I was still cuddled into this chest, my face buried into him. He groaned and rubbed the sleep out of eyes.

"Good morning," he whispered. I sat up silently and brought my knees up to my chin. I rested my head on my knees and just stared back at Linc. He looked away, giving me a view of his high cheekbones. Suddenly, it hit me.

What was I doing here? In Linc's bed and not Carsir?

The emptiness in my heart reminded me and my aunt's face flashed behind my eyes. I reached over and grabbed my phone out my purse that laid on the nightstand. There was a flurry of messages from Chase and even one from Alias, but not one from Carsir. I understood the lack of texts and didn't question it for a second. I had to have hurt his feelings when I insisted on seeing Lincoln instead of seeking him for comfort. And deep in my heart, I had wished he argued with me the night before and took me in his arms instead, but I had no reason to be angry. He did exactly what I told him.

With a soft sigh, I stood up and turned to Linc.

"Morning," I replied, minutes after. He smiled gently, reaching out for my hand. I let him hold my hand, but my attention diverted to a buzz sounding from my phone. I looked down and answered the call from Chase.

"Hi Chase," I breathed, swallowing hard.

"God, Elena. I am so sorry," Chase said. I pursed my lips together and looked away from Lincoln, forcing my tears back. "Your aunt was an amazing person-"

"Can you pick me up?" I interrupted, not wanting to hear any more. I couldn't handle it. "I'm at Lincoln's place." Back when Linc and I used to be friends, Chase would hang around his house before ending things with Linc when I did.

"Of course. I'm on my way," he assured, hanging up. Lincoln finally sat up and touched my bare legs. I stepped away hastily, goosebumps running down my skin. He snatched his hands back before rubbing the back of his neck.

"Thanks for last night Linc, I really appreciate it," I said, gathering my dress from the floor. Lincoln nodded silently. I headed into his bathroom and cleaned up before getting the short dress back on. I handed him his shirt and walked to the front door as he trailed behind me. I was about to leave when he grabbed my wrist. I froze, inches away from him.

Suddenly, he brought his lips to mine and kissed me. Stunned, I didn't move, my wrist still in his grasp. Feeling returned to my bones as I pushed him away. His eyes were wide, embarrassment slapped across his face. "I-I'm really sorry-" I started, but he slammed the door in my face. Tears sprung to my eyes, and they unwantedly dripped down my cheeks.

Fuck. I didn't want to cry.

Defeatedly, I exited the building and saw Chase's car waiting on the road. I got into the front seat and almost had a heart attack when I realized it was in fact not Chase in the driver's seat, but Carsir. The last person I wanted to see at that moment.

"Why are you crying?" he demanded, touching my chin. An ugly sob escaped my lips as I pulled out of his grasp.

"Just drive. Please," I whispered, resting my head on the window. He sighed and drove. I calmed down, unstable breaths loud in the air. We arrived at my apartment, and he parked, looking at me.

"What's wrong, love? And I know it isn't your aunt, something else happened?" I squeezed my eyes closed tightly before opening them to see Carsir. I took a moment to appreciate him because I had never known someone who would be so patient and gave me so many chances I didn't deserve.