eight

Listen to 'All We Do' by 'Oh Wonder'

We take a seat at one of the little booths.

This was nice.

Different.

I honestly didn't expect Ethan to be this nice.

I don't want to fool myself, but being around him is like a light in all this darkness.

It's like I'm drowning in a pit of pain and depression, but with him; I'm swimming, I can finally catch a breath.

I was ready to give up a month or two ago.

As stupid as it sounds, I felt as though I had nothing left to live for.

No one who cared for me.

That feeling hasn't fully gone, but it gets lifted when I'm with him.

"No offence, but why are we here Ethan?" I say because I'm curious.

"What do you mean?" He says narrowing his eyebrows.

"Why did you invite me out? Out of all the people, why me?"

As I ask him and it's almost like all the sadness floods back into me. I'm afraid of the answer.

I feel as though he could have found out about Toby so, is therefore just pitying me.

"You really intrigue me, Charlotte and in all honesty I want to get to know you" he pauses "and I wanted to make sure you're okay, after what happened and you just left". He says with a soft smile.

I almost feel myself blush, but to much surprise it disappears soon enough. I send him a little smile before saying "yeah I'm fine now".

"You can tell me if you're not" he says leaning across the table and holding my hand.

At first my reaction is to flinch but then he begins to stroke his thumb back and forth.

Just like he did at school the other day.

It automatically comforts me.

"you haven't spoken to me before, why now?" I ask licking my ice cream.

"We've been at school together all this time and I guess you just stood out to me now" he reply's.

"Okay, well I'm not going to be another girl you're going to get in the pants of. Just saying in advance if that's your plan" I say.

I feel like I need to get it off my chest.

I felt weird.

One minute he's just a dick that's walking round school,

Another person ignoring me,

And now he's suddenly interested.

Ethan's POV

Her words hurt me.

She seems so hurt.

But from what?

I'm not like Grayson or the rest of the guys.

"Sure I've slept with a few girls but I'm nothing like Grayson or the rest of the boys" I say as sincere as possible.

I stroke my thumb back and forth over her small hand.

She just nods but doesn't look at me.

I want to know what's hurt her so much.

I want to help her.

-

We continue to eat our ice cream talking lightly.

Slowly the light in her eyes would flicker to come out.

Then she got a phone call.

I couldn't hear the other end very well but it sounded as though it were a man shouting.

"I-I have to go, thank you again for the ice cream" she gave me a forced smile whilst rushing out before I could say anything.

It worried me.

I wanted to go after her.

Make sure she'll be okay.

Whether she'd want that, I don't know.

-

AN- vote x