Chapter Nine

I put the key into ignition, and I could hear the car purr. Memories flashed back in an instant, and this was pretty much expected. But I pushed past my regrets, and decided to just drive on. It wasn't as though the case with Jackson would've forced me to terminate my driving.  I had to get past the incident sometime anyway.

I arrived at the store, but I was unfortunate enough to just about get the very last parking space. It seemed as though I had left luck at my door step. I got out of the car and walked for a couple of minutes before I stood infront of the automatic doors which instantly invited me in. People rushed past with baskets and trollies filled with products. I grabbed my own basket; I didn't think spending too much for just treats for this morning was going to be a smart move which is why I abandoned the trollies.

The first aisle was filled with everything fresh: vegetables, fruits, juice, smoothies. I grabbed strawberries and a box of blueberries to place into my basket, not forgetting to collect a couple apples into a plastic bag. I moved along to the aisle where all of the biscuits, cookies and all of that goodness was stored and I gazed upon the shelves like a toddler in a candy store. But I'm sure I held a bit more eagerness somehow. I wrapped my fingers around a box of  cookies and then they slyly slithered to the neighbouring treats: chocolate, and potato chips. I didn't stop them, hence my basket piled up with products and with weight.

I abruptly turned my body as I all of a sudden remembered that this store stocked up with my favourite mango yoghurt smoothie, and as my body moved in such excitement, I came into contact with something else. More like somebody else. The shock immediately forced my arms to pulse, losing my grasph of the basket. It dropped with a loud thud. However, it didn't topple over. The only thing that fell out was the apple from the plastic bag which I had forgotten to tie into a knot.

It rolled on the floor and the feet of a stranger preciptously stopped its movement. I looked up, and I instantly wished I hadn't. Oh crap. A tall man stood before me and his precense was slightly indimidating. He appeared to be mean with dark eyebrows and a suit wrapped around his body, causing me to give him the personality of a business worker with a lot on his hands who had just come into contact with an awkward girl, making him aggravated.

I bent down to place the apple back into the basket, but simultaneously, the stranger fell to his knees to do the same. His hand was placed on the apple, but in a spontaneous attempt to get to the apple faster than him, I also did the same. My hand was on his hand, and the touch of his skin sent a small jolt through my arm.

I slurred an apology as my cheeks had adopted the colour of the Red Delicious apple and quickly retrieved my hand away. I dared to look at his face, and when I did so, he smiled at me. It felt sincere, and his eyes squinted as his lips curved upwards, revealing a set of dimples which were carved into the bases of his cheeks that were covered with a light coating of brown stubble. His smile was probably one of the best ones that I had ever witnessed in all of my existance, which forced me to feel even more awkward.

"I believe this is your apple," he said to me with a gentle voice, and as he did so, the colour of his eyes were finally detectable.

"I guess it tried to escape," I replied, in attempt to break my own silence with a touch of humour. It failed however, and that was evident in the laugh that he chuckled out.

"You're just too adorable."

Wait. What. No, I must've heard incorrectly. There is no way that this stud muffin, who looked more appealing than the actual muffins stacked on the shelf behind him, could have actually stated that my awkward behaviour was adorable. I must have been mistaken. And my contemplating must've been physically evident as he smiled and said, "You really are."

A smile automatically found its way around my lips, causing them to raise upwards. When the apple was safe in my basket, I then tried to pick it up but it was a strain, and my arms began to tremble due to the weight. I must seriously get into shape, or atleast awaken these muscles that haven't been working since puberty hit me, I thought. And I guess that was when the tall, dark handsome stranger must've realised my struggle and the pain that I was enduring behind closed doors as he then offered to hold the basket for me. I melted at his proposal - his kind personality met up with the standards that his beauty had constructed.

"What else is on your shopping list then, madam?" He asked me.

You.