2 - BB & Boys

A-Listers soon hit the stands. The bands forgot the little white lie but Noh didn't. He couldn't sleep that night. He didn't know why he lied.  He always kept his personal life private and never quite had to deny his relationship. Except for Ohm and band mates, nobody else knew he lived in the suburb with his boyfriend Phun. It was the same for Phun, only Pink was allowed the privilege of knowing their love story in his office. Nobody else needed to know.

Another magazine on Phun's desk that morning. He smiled and winked at Pink, mouthing a thank you from the glass cabin. He quickly went through the pages and started reading the interview. The writer had positioned Nohm as a promising band that had the potential to reach every young heart. They were passionate musicians and upcoming artists that everyone should watch out for. A-Listers loved them and Noh was given much prominence as the life of the band. The writers comment at the end of the interview was what baffled Phun. That smile froze. 'Currently none of the members of Nohm are seeing anyone. Even Noh'. 

It pinched a little at first, especially at 'Even Noh'. Phun tried to reason with his heart and his usually very logical mind was trying console him. It's ok Phun. Noh is now a public figure and also needs to make sure to keep his fans happy. You know how possessive he is about his private life and will not open up to just anybody about his personal space and time. He isn't careless when it comes to matters of the heart and his privacy. He is just watching out for you so that you don't get targeted by some crazy fans of his. He still loves you so don't take this heart. The magazine must have just added that bit to give their fans a little hope and help Noh's band.  With that being thought, Phun smiled again with an understanding heart. He knew how to cajol himself and refrain from over reacting. He loved Noh and he could take a little denial without a drama.

The internet was buzzing with comments as the magazine hit the online portal as well. Everyone wanted to know if the band had a wikipedia page, if there were concerts lined up. Noh and his bandmates were practising at their usual haunt - a basement of an apartment building that lay vacant as it was unfit even for car parking. They paid a very nominal rent for that space but it was where many of their hits were born. Ohm checked their page every half hour to see updates since the magazine hit the stand. His face lit up. The number of fan followers and subscribers to their page were jumping by the 100s. It was gratifying and he was just about to yell out the numbers when Noh's phone rang. It was a number he didn't recognize. 

'Is this Noh of Nohm band?'

'Yes, who is this?'

'Hi, My name is Mark and I am calling from BB & Boys. I wanted to meet with you and your band mates for a brief chat. If you have time tomorrow, can we meet at Suns Cafe around 2 pm?'

Noh clutched the phone and went on silent mode for about 5 seconds. He couldn't believe his ears. BB & Boys actually called them for a meeting? This is like the elephant calling the ducks and chicken out to come and play! What was that comparison? He calmly said sure. 

He yelled out to his boys and told them the good news about the meeting. Only Ohm didn't seem to excited. Noh couldn't wait to get home and spill the news to Phun in person. He had to refrain from dialing Phun's number. After the last number was done and the boys left for their respective place, Ohm caught up with Noh and discussed about the pending meeting. Ohm didn't think it was a good idea to sign up with any big label as they would be restricted from doing their kind of music. They would be singing to the tunes of the mass and along the lines of BB & Boys. Noh assured him that he was aware and would definitely voice all their concerns at the table. Ohm was not convinced but he trusted Noh to do what's best for the band.

Noh raced home. As usual he found Phun getting ready to hit the bed. He had laid out Noh's food on the table. Noh rushed into the bedroom and jumped on the bed and landed on top of Noh. He kissed Phun, the sweet, kind, patient Phun. Phun wasn't sure if Noh was trying to make up for the comment in the magazine but he responded to the happiness that Noh was trying to spread. 

'Noh, you are more than just happy today. What's the good news?'

'Phun, guess who called today? Guess, guess, guess,' said an excited, wide-eyed, grinning Noh.

'I don't know.. is it Earn?' teased Phun. Noh's bright smile dropped and then punched Phun in the stomach. Phun laughed through that pain. Earn was the high schooler who had a crush on Noh. 

'Owwww Noh, sorry,' he whimpered as he clutched his stomach.

'You'll get that trying to be smart. Today, BB & Boys called us up for a meeting tomorrow. I think they want us to sign up with them. I can't believe they called me. We are meeting them at 2 pm tomorrow at Suns Cafe. Yooohooooooo... Am so excited Phun... I don't even know what we are going to talk tomorrow, but I think our struggling days will soon be over. What do you say Phun?'

Behind Phun's smile, there was another small tug at his mind and a little more at the heart. This is Noh's dream - to sing for the world and it was coming true. He was so happy for Noh but he didn't know exactly why he couldn't be as excited as Noh. They should be jumping up on the bed right now but something about the news just didn't settle well for Phun but he played along, 'Noh, I am right now trying to digest the news and I don't know how to react but I am extremely happy for you, I am.'

'Phun honey, when I earn big money - first thing I am going to do is put you through your medical college. I know you've always had that as your dream to be a doctor.. till we started living together.'

Phun responded 'Noh, let's not get carried away. I am happy for you but let's wait till you know what they want from you. It shouldn't cost you more than you can handle. Right now, we are still doing OK. I don't need a better life than what we have. As long as you are coming home to me at the end of the day.. and we have enough to live a decent life.. which we are - I don't need more than that.'

'Ok, ok, ok grandpa' said Noh as he got off Phun a little disheartened by Phun's sensible talk but he loved Phun for all that grandpa-ness. It's what kept him grounded. 

He switched off the light of the bedroom as he headed to warm his dinner and let Phun go back to sleep. From the dining, Noh shouted, 'I love you Phun and will do anything for you. Remember that.'  Phun smiled and waited for Noh to finish his dinner and crawl into their bed.