Chapter Seventeen - Burning Pancakes After Singing Songs

Start from the beginning

The shorter man leaned against the booth so he was facing us, but a little more to the left so he wasn’t blocking Logan’s way. “It’s always hard the first time, just try again.” He said with a smile. I nodded and handed Logan another dart. This time he tried concentrating more, and as he threw it, his tongue stuck out of his mouth. This time, it hit a balloon. Me and the two men in the booth clapped for him as he cheered. 

“I got one, Tanner! I popped one of the balloons!” He chirped happily, I nodded and gave him a hug, “I only need to pop...” he started to say as he counted on his fingers, “Five more balloons!” I smiled from seeing him so happy and handed him another dart. 

He threw it, and it hit another balloon. The three of us clapped again, as he counted on his fingers. “Four more balloons Tanner!” He cheered as I handed him the next dart. 

He threw this one, hitting another balloon. He skipped the counting and held his small hand out, asking for another dart. I handed two to him and he used them both, but only hitting one balloon. He shrugged his shoulders still not understanding why it wasn’t hitting a balloon and took the last dart from me. He concentrated hard, staring at one balloon, and threw it, hitting a balloon. “Yes!” he shouted as me and the two men clapped. “That’s...” he paused, counting on his fingers again. “Two more balloons left! Can we buy more Tanner? Please!” He begged me, and I nodded, handing the tall guy three more dollars as he gave me three darts. 

I handed them to Logan and he threw two of them, but hit no balloons. He sighed, as he held the last one tightly in his hands, he seemed calm thinking that we had more money to buy darts if he missed, but we didn’t. 

“Hold up, little buddy” the shorter guy said, coming on the other side of the booth where we were. He lifted up Logan and placed him onto the counter of the booth, his feet hanging over the edge so he faced the balloons. The man patted Logan’s bald head, “That should work better” he said and stood by him leaning against the booth with a hand gently on his back to catch him if he fell. Logan smiled, concentrating on the balloons, and threw it, making one of the pop. The two men cheered, giving him high fives. Logan turned towards me, a giant smile on his face, 

“Can we buy one more? I’ll hit the balloon! And then I can have the stuffed frog!” He pleaded. I stood there, not knowing what to do. I had no more money, I couldn’t buy another dart, but if I didn’t Logan would be so upset. Suddenly, the tall man came over and handed Logan a dart, “You’re sister already paid for it, she just wanted to give you two first instead of three” he said, winking at me. I looked to the shorter man to see he had a finger over his lips, telling me to be quiet about it and then he winked too.

Logan took the last dart, a smile across his face, he was determined to get that frog. He threw the dart, and it popped a balloon. “Yay!” Logan cheered, as all three of us clapped for him. The tall man reached up and got the frog, handing it to Logan. “Congratulations!” He said, giving Logan a pat on the back, as the  short man said, 

“Good Job!” and gave Logan a high five. They lifted him off the counter, and put him on the ground. Logan reached for my hand, holding the frog in his other and we walked away, I turned around and smiled, looking at the two men who were also watching us. I waved and yelled thank you, as they nodded their heads. I turned around and saw mom and dad coming towards us, a box of pizza in their hands. Logan took off, dragging me along with him. “Look what I won!” Logan yelled happily. 

Flashback over. 

Why couldn’t times still be simple like that? No confusiong over big things like this, just small things like why you couldn’t pop a balloon.