Chapter Ten - You Have To Believe

Niall’s POV

Dear Mystery boy, 

You were right, there’s nothing to worry about. I wasn’t being stalked! Not that I really thought that... but it did come across my mind. Kind of. It turns out that Mia, a girl who I did track with in high school, is Niall’s cousin. Apparently, she’s mentioned me a few times, and then she has a couple photos of the track team so he also knew what I looked like. He just put the two together, and figured out who I was. 

You know, I never did get around to asking them why they were in the grave yard... I can always ask them a different time, I’ll probably be seeing all of the around more often, because I can actually recognize who they are now, and Mia and I have been hanging out some more, and have gotten a lot closer, so since they’re cousins... Well you get it. Hopefully. 

I understand, some things... are just hard to say. I understand, I feel that way sometimes too. 

It’s a bit different with you, though. I feel like can tell you anything, and I really want to tell you all of these things, but I just can’t do it. It wont come out. Not even on a piece of paper. I want to apologize for that, because maybe you want to know these things. I feel like you are going through this too. Do you feel like that? You really want to tell me, but you just can’t? If you do, one day we can just let it all out, one day. 

At first I didn’t believe you. How can you make that promise? It’s practically impossible to keep... but... 

I believe you. 

Honestly, I don’t know why, because I might get hurt believing a promise that big... But I’m giving it a chance. 

My roommate is yelling at me now, and even though I have more to say, I have to go. 

Write back soon!

Love, 

Tanner.  

I leaned against the wall in my room, crouching on the floor reading the letter.

Some sort of relief washed over me. Maybe because there was stuff she wanted to tell me, but she just couldn’t, because that was the way I felt. So badly I just wanted to tell her my name, it killed me inside, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. What if she treated me differently because of that? 

I sighed reading one of the parts over again. I believe you. I don’t know what it was about those words, but it gave me hope. She believed me, she knew things were going to be alright. 

Or maybe she didn’t.

She said she was afraid to believe me, but she did anyways. She was right, it was a big promise to make, but I was going to keep it. I was going to do that for her.

A knock at my door interrupted my thoughts as Louis walked into my room. 

“You alright mate?” he asked, looking a little worried.

“Yah, why wouldn’t I be?” I questioned, scrunching my forehead, what was he going at?

“Well, Harry kind of told me what happened..” he said, leaving me shocked, I was already embarrassed about that, and it was Harry who I had been talking to, I normally don’t get embarrassed in front of the boys. And I didn’t want other people to know... even the boys. Honestly, I didn’t want Harry to know about that. “Don’t get mad at him, Niall! Okay? He wasn’t going to tell me, but he was so torn. He was upset seeing you like that, he wants to help, but he’s confused, he didn’t know how to do it himself. I confronted him about how he was acting, and he just let it all out, which ended up making him feel worse, because he knew you didn’t want him to make a big deal about it.”

I stared at him. Harry was worried about me? It wasn’t a big deal. Well, I didn’t want it to seem like one. “Louis, I’m fine, really. It’s not a big deal.” 

Louis sighed, he knew I was lying, I’ve never been very good at it. My lip starts to twitch a bit, and I fidget with my hands a lot. 

“It is a big deal.” he said. I started nodding my head, about to protest, but he ignored me and just kept talking. “You know why it’s a big deal?” he asked, which caught my attention. I looked up at him, shaking me head, what was he talking about? “Niall, you might’ve found your princess. Tanner could be that one girl for you. We all see it, the way your mood changes when you get a letter from her, it’s love.”

 Love? Was I in love with Tanner?

“We all know it. All of us but you, Niall. And you can’t just give up on her, you have to believe that it’s going to be okay.” He sat there staring at me, letting me process what he had said.

“But, wh- you, I-” was all I managed to say, I didn’t know what to think of that.

“If you want my opinion, I don’t think Tanner is the type of girl to judge. I don’t think she would care if you’re Niall Horan from One Direction, the worlds biggest band, because she doesn’t know him. She’s in love with Niall Horan. The real Niall Horan. The one that me and the boys know, the one that your family knows. She loves you, not your fame. Believe me when I say it, Niall. I have four sisters and a girlfriend, I know something about girls. And I’m positive this one loves you.”

Louis stood up and walked away, leaving me sitting on the floor and staring at the wall, thinking about what he’d talked to me about.

Maybe Louis was right.

When I thought about it even more, maybe Tanner was right. Maybe I should be more like her in a way. 

Maybe I should believe in things. 

Authors Note: I know, I’m an awful person. I haven’t updated in so long. :( I’ll try to write another chapter today because of that, but in the meantime, I hope you like this one! And just in case some things confused you, Niall isn't mad at Harry, he's just embarrassed that Harry had to see him like that, and then he was even more embarrassed when Louis found out because he thought that he might be making a big deal out of it. Thanks for all the feedback! The comments on the last chapter were definitely my favorite, there were a few really nice ones and then others just made me laugh. :) Vote, comment, fan, whatever! Thanks for reading! 

Hannah xx