Chapter 2: Everyone But Me

My family and I went to church yesterday, as usual. Today, Eagle High's student body was buzzing about a newcomer today. River acted as if he didn't care at all but he kept on asking people around us who the new student is. All they know is that the newcomer is a guy so like the usual practice, girls came combing their hairs, putting more make-up and such. Surprisingly, I found myself fixing my hair and my uniform in front of the mirror in the women's restroom along with Janna who kept on staring at me like I was some alien. I wore my red hair down with a ribboned hair band and applied strawberry flavored lip gloss.

"Seriously? Even you?" she asked.

"Yeah well," I replied. "C'mon, let's get outta here before your eyes would pop out."

She laughed at this one. River waited for us down the hallway with his spikey dark brown hair and his Adidas backpack. "Not you too," he muttered to me.

"What? I just need some...change?" I reasoned out. "Why? If this newcomer was a girl, you'd be grooming yourself up too right?"

He didn't answer, and I was glad because if he did say yes, then my heart would just sink. "Let's get to class. We're gonna be late."

"Fine," I said because he said so but I added quickly. "We never even come early to class."

Inside the classroom, we took our seats. River sat beside me while Janna sat in front of River. Our homeroom teacher went in and scanned the entire room. Her eyes were glued to the three of us in shock. "My, you three are early today," she said, but didn't add more. I pictured me choking her inside my head.

"Class, I know you are all aware of the new transferee. Please try to be in your best behavior so the new student will feel at home. Don't embarrass our school," Mrs. Rodriguez said to all of us but I feel like in her last sentence, she was addressing it to me because her eyes were looking at me the whole time. After three hours of torture in her period, it's finally recess. I heard that the new transferee is in the section beside us so I can't help but to peek. Large bodies covered the windows so I couldn't get through even though I'm slender and tall-five foot six to be exact. Janna and River got to the door so they got to see him. They were good at squeezing themselves through the crowd unlike me. I'm kind of jealous of Janna since she's with River and left me here alone.  

I asked the person on my right about at least the name of the new student, and I think his name is Mart, the one I placed bubblegum inside his notebook last year because of a dare. "Hey uh Mart! So...have any idea who's the new kid?" 

He just looked at me in disgust and answered, "Find it out yourself! How could you expect me to respectfully answer your question when you just casually put bubblegum on my Science notebook?" 

"I told you, it was a dare!" I explained to him again. "Past is past, right?" 

"Just, just leave me alone. Okay?" 

"Fine," I walked away from Mart and went to the vending machine. I bought myself a chocolate bar when suddenly I turned around and bumped someone-River. We sat down near the vending machine. 

"Why so lonely?" he remarked. 

"Nothin much," I said shyly and peeled off the wrapper of my candy bar. River took the wrapper and placed it in the trash bin.  

"Actions speak louder than words, dude," he nudged my elbows. He's so close to me right now. I'm so glad!  

"Trust me. This is nothing," I lied again. 

"Lemme guess, you're curious as much as the girls?" he winked. "He's not hot as you girls think." 

"I like your self-confidence," I laughed. "Then there's nothing to be curious about." 

River put his hand on his forehead, "Seriously?! You girls are thinking he's hot? But I'm hotter, don't you think?" he said in a flirty way. I could feel my cheeks burn. 

"Whaat?" I laughed. "C'mon! Let's cut class!" 

"Changing the topic I see? M'kay! Where to?" he stood up as he helped me up. "Is Janna coming?" 

"She's not here," I glared at him.  

"Are you mad at her or something?" he asked me. 

"Never mind," I muttered under my breath. 

"I'm kidding! Let's get crazzyyy!" he said happily. "How about hanging in the gym? Heard no one's gonna use it today!" 

"Sure sure!" I was about to run for it when he grabbed my hand and said, "Wait for me," 

I was blushing uncontrollably, "Wh-what am I doing now?" 

"Touché!" he winked then we went together. Sometimes, I feel like River likes me back also...but that would be impossible. How could he like a red head? It's best not to think that he likes me.  

When we got to the gym, we played basketball and did some freaky gymnastics. River was joking that what if he wore tights. We were cracking up and having so much fun until we're both caught by one coach. Coach Nolie, my hatest coach in the world. She had me do 100 push-ups and sit-ups for her own entertainment and gives me the lowest possible grade. Rumors say that she hates red heads that's why she was very hard on me.  

"What are you doing, Rose?! Cutting classes, I see?" She said. "And you, boy! Don't let Rose influence you!"  

"But it's not her fau—" River said. 

"Go out, River," I cut him. I can't let him accept a punishment from her. "I'll be fine." 

"You sure?"  

"Do I look like I'm unsure?" I said impatiently. "Just let me handle this." 

River ran out of the gym, leaving me alone to deal with coach. "Hit me with your best shot." I told Coach Nolie.  

"Scrub the gym! Use this," she handed me a toothbrush. "I want it squeaky clean by tomorrow. You need to clean up your mess." 

"But, this will take weeks!" I complained.  

"Unless you want me to call your parents," she taunted.  

"I'll do it. Just don't mention anything about this to my parents." 

"Thought so!" she laughed an evil laughed and went out the gym doors as I started doing the punishment. 

~4:35pm (dismissal)~  

I've just scrubbed half the basket ball court and it's already dismissal. I've received a text from River asking me if he should help but I replied no and that he should go home already. Janna texted me the same text as River. River must've told her. I told her that she should make up an excuse for my parents in case I go home late. 

  Suddenly, the lights were turned off. The gym was pitch black. The hairs on my skin were rising. What the heck is happening? "Hello? Hello? Is anyone here?" I said shakily. "Is this a prank to get me? Fine, you got me! Just turn on the lights!"

  The lights were still off. I bravely find my way to the switch when suddenly someone covered my mouth and eyes and placed both of my hands behind my back. Kidnapper?! 

~Stay tuned~ :) vote and comment please? :> what do u think of this story so far? need your comments badly!