12 - Tólfta

I can be so weird sometimes. I mean, I love the privacy I get living like this, but sooner or later, the loneliness gets to me.

"Imadis?" I whispered softly. "I know you're still in there Ima. I need you right now."

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what wishful thinking looks like.

I sighed in defeat and fell to my bed as my thoughts clouded my mind.

Join the Liet.

How hard can it be?

I shook the thought from my head. I've had first-hand experience with the Liet. They're manipulative and always get what they want. I don't think I can trust them.

But Sven. He said he wasn't lying.

So?

I looked towards my window, the scene of darkness enveloping the light of day, visible through the small frame.

Well, let's think of it this way.

What do I have to lose?

I'll be getting quite a bit on the plus side though. Information. Financial support. Company. The three things I am really needing at the moment.

The thought at the back of my mind that maybe my mate doesn't want me, isn't helping me either.

I closed my eyes and relaxed.

Okay then.

...

The cottage was painted a dark shade of blue today. The sky was dark and filled with stars. A calm swept over me as I sat on the grass with my thoughts.

A lone flower bloomed in the grass in front of me. It was one I saw at home often. I lifted my hand to touch it but a voice stopped me.

"Don't."

I looked around to see nobody for miles. I sighed.

The flower was beautiful. I plucked it from the grass and held it in my hands gently.

A few moments passed, and the flower turned to dust, sifting through the night wind.

"You're the epitome of destruction, Rayne."

I closed my eyes as tears began to form.

"No!" I screamed. "It's not my fault."

My voice turned into a whisper as I considered my words.

Then whose is it?

...

Getting out of bed is a chore on its own. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

I woke up and got ready for the day. I wore a white plain t-shirt with light blue jeans and a matching heavy denim jacket.

It's getting warmer but not warm enough.

Breakfast didn't take me long and I was soon out of the door, only to see Sven's car blasting RnB right outside my building.

An older couple walked by with disapproving looks at the boy who seemed very conveniently oblivious to the stares he was receiving.

I walked to his side of the car and knocked on the lowered window.

"Sven! Turn it down!"

"What? Why?" he said looking at me with a mischievous grin.

I gave him a hard glare. It's too early for this right now.

He lowered the volume and tilted his head towards the passenger seat.

"Get in."

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"That's why you're here?" I asked disbelievingly.

"Not really. I was hoping I could get free breakfast at your place but then I realized we're running late," he said innocently.

I rolled my eyes and ran-walked back inside, ignoring the shouts from Sven.

I took out the box I packed for tomorrow and headed back outside after locking the apartment. He was already out of his car to come get me.

"Don't run off like that!" he scolded.

I just handed him the box and watched his expression change from anger to confusion.

"Tupperware?" he asked with a small laugh.

"Breakfast," I said sternly.

His face softened as he looked back up. "I was just kidding Rayne. I'd get something later," he said.

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," I said. "And why are you really here?"

"Considering the fact that I'm the most interesting thing in your life right now, I thought I'd do you a favor and take you out of your misery," he said, heading back to his car. "Now get in if you don't want to be late for another fascinating lecture."

I sighed and got into his car. He took out the cold turkey sandwich I had made and started to eat as he drove.

"Thanks Rayne. I was starving," he said with a genuine smile. "This is delicious."

I looked outside the window and chose to ignore him. If he doesn't want to tell me what's going on, I'll give him the silent treatment.

I'm fine without knowing more about myself anyway.

I'm fine.