36 - þrjátíu og Sex

The situation had started to make more sense to me, now that Sven had let me in on why he thinks this person is such a big deal.

It also increased my belief in the fact that whoever this important person is, it most definitely is not me. I mean, I'm probably the least important person in the werewolf world owing to the fact that I don't have a family or even a pack, my parents didn't want me, my mate doesn't want me, and my own wolf has now absolutely deserted me.

These thoughts may seem quite dark, but I have gotten used to being this way. They bring me comfort instead, knowing whoever everyone is looking for, is not me.

After sitting quietly for some time, lost in our own thoughts, Sven spoke up.

"You want to go for a run?"

"I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner," I said, already getting up. The feeling of being in this forest was exhilarating. Running was not the same without Imadis, but it still satiated my wild side.

Sven had gone into the trees ahead of me and by the time I caught up with him, I was greeted by Svartur.

He nodded in my direction and then started running the other way. I started running as fast as I could to try and keep up with him, but it seemed difficult enough to keep him in my sight.

He was going too fast and weaving his way across the forest, making it more difficult for me to reach him. I tried to tell him through our pack bond to slow down. There was no way my human legs could match his wolf speed, even at my fastest.

In return I saw him turn his head slightly towards my direction and he shot through the trees at an even greater pace, a mischievous feeling emanating from him. It didn't take him long to make a quick turn and soon enough he was gone. I was too tired to go on and stopped to take a breather.

And that's when I sensed him.

It was his scent, there was no mistaking it.

For months I was searching and now, I know he's here, his musky scent has never been stronger. I ran further through the trees, turning directions while following his scent.

I couldn't see him. I couldn't hear him. But the mate bond made it possible for me to sense him still. And now, I could smell him closer.

I closed my eyes to collect myself and concentrate when I felt a hand make its way over my eyes, and an arm slithered around my waist.

Ecstasy like I have never felt before swelled in my chest as I relaxed in his arms. I could feel the tears of happiness in my eyes.

"Rayne," he said. His voice was soft, quiet, as if he only wanted me to hear him, and even the trees around us were now outsiders.

I was crying. I was crying as much as a woman who'd thought she'd lost her lover forever, and then found him again in heaven.

"Shh don't cry, I'm here," he said, his soothing voice unable to calm my frustration.

"No! No you're not, you've always been running away from me," I said trying to turn and see him but he didn't let me.

"I want you more than you can imagine. And you will know me soon enough, but you need to get through the next few days first, and I'll come to you again," he said. His grip on me was getting tighter by the second, and I wanted him to never let go.

I felt his lips on my neck as he took in my scent and breathed deeply. His actions calmed me enough to stop my squirming. I trusted him.

"No one can know we're mates, and I'm afraid if you know who I am, we'll give it away in a fraction of a second," he said.

"But why?" my voice was breaking, and tears were constantly running down my cheeks.

"You are my most precious prize Rayne, and if I've been able to contain mysef and kept away from you for so long, believe me there has been a reason. But tonight," he said, both his arms around my body now as he pressed close from behind me.

"Tonight I have to give you a gift, something you've wanted and need. It is the only way I can know you'll be able to protect yourself in another's territory," he said. I tried to turn my head to see him, but he was too close and I felt dizzy just being in his arms.

"Forgive me," he said.

Before I could realize what he was apologizing for, I felt his teeth sink into the nape of my neck and a scream left my lips that only I could hear.

His hand had covered my mouth and was now wet with my tears, the pain unbearable and I felt as if I'd faint.

He held me to his chest and slowly pulled his teeth out of me, attaching his lips to the spot, and letting his tongue clean my wound.

It was then that the pain dissipated to make way for pleasure. As he kissed my neck, a moan left my lips and his hand immediately covered my mouth again.

"You're turning me into a mess," he whispered close to my ear. I could feel every bit of him behind me.

His mark gave me strength that I didn't have before. And I could now stand straighter but felt very calm. I opened my eyes and touched his hand softly, as best I could in his tight grip.

His hand let go of my mouth as he wrapped his arms around my torso, leaving my arms free.

I covered his arms with mine and leaned into him.

"When will I see you?" I asked him.

"I'll come to you very soon," he replied. "But you have to stop looking for me my love."

I was still processing his words, before I realized that he was gone.