The Pilot

Two pink lines. Were the results of the pregnancy test.

Two pink lines. She kept telling herself, in sheer frustration.

How did she get here? One day, life was good. As it has been for almost 19 years now, and the next? It all came crashing down in flames. Over what? No one will ever know. What she does know? Is that she's having this baby.

She held her head in her hands, while sitting on top of the toilet lid. Sobbing.

What should normally be a time to rejoice, instead, is a time of reproach.

Why now? she asked herself. Why not sooner?

This pregnancy would have been a blessing, (still is a blessing) that was 17 years in the making; and now? It's a surprise!

The next chapter of her life is so full; and yet, in one way, so so empty... so daunting.

Now? she, yet again, asked herself. Sounding as if she were a broken record.

Now? Now? she cried hard into her hands. In total disbelief; at the timing, and not the pregnancy in itself. .

Now? when her world was crumbling down, and not over the past 17 years... when life was annoyingly predictable. When life was good.. Very, very good.

What should be one of the happiest moments in her life - if not thee happiest moment - is one of the most painful moments, and yet, another reminder of how different life has become.

She and her husband have been unsuccessful in their prior attempts of conceiving a child. 17 years to be exact.. They both stubbornly refused any sort of treatment that would greater the chance of getting pregnant, naturally. They so badly wanted to have a child the old fashioned way, and when they finally got their wish? their marriage had disintegrated, and was all, but over.

She hears the sound of footsteps, and lifts her head up to see the man, whom will soon be her ex-husband.

"So?" he asks; impatiently waiting for the answer.

"Pregnant," was all that she was able to say.

He felt an immense amount of ... dread, wash over him. Something that they had tried so hard for, for so many years, is finally happening.

Contrary to their reactions, they are both overjoyed with the prospect of becoming parents to their miracle baby, and, yet sad, that they'll be raising their child as single parents.

"It's funny, isn't it?! We tried to get pregnant for over 17 years, and couldn't," he laughs softly, trying to make the best of an awful situation. "Now, we're soon to be divorced, and boom!" he sighs, after taking a seat on the bathtub.

They are going to sign the papers to end their marriage today.

"I know! If only we didn't have a hard time getting pregnant for all those years... maybe.. we wouldn't have found ourselves here, and could have--"

"Ah, I doubt that.. We've grown too far apart," he said, as she wipes tears from her eyes.

"Have we?" she sniffles.