Evolution: Chapter 28

A slow burn built up in my chest, taking it's time. Like a snake slowly tightening around its prey, closing in until my breathing became laboured.

By now, the pain was a dull throb in the back of my mind. I'd gotten good at ignoring it, maybe now I even felt gratitude for it. Sweat drizzled from the thickness of my hair, tied back into a stumpy braid, and down the side of my neck.

"That's enough." Ripper drawled, eyes pinned on the screen of the computers, "I don't want you dropping unconscious again, you nearly gave Gwen a heart attack last time."

Ever so slowly, the treadmill beneath me started to slow. It took longer than it should have but when it finally stopped, it was the first time I didn't collapse to my knees. Gripping the sidebars, my eyes slipped shut as my desperate pants repeatedly kicked me in the chest.

"You lasted longer today, the elixir is finally taking root in you." Ripper carried on, and I wasn't sure if he was even speaking to me, "It'll take a little longer. Since you're older, your body is more mature and less submissive to invading chemicals. So, you're still going to feel a little-"

"Human?"

"-Shitty for a while." Ripper paused at my suggestion, his nodding slow, "Indeed. This is the longest I've seen one of your kind adjust, but my calculations are never wrong. So, it'll last a hell stretch of time."

Great. That sounded exactly like I wanted to hear, it wasn't exactly pleasing, that he'd left part of metamorphosis out when explaining it to me. It was probably because he knew I'd object to letting him pump six bags of the stuff through me.

Right now, wasn't a good time to be weak.

Whether Ripper cared to admit to it, Veronica Grave was closing in around us. Her people were hunting and smoking out Chimera's all over the globe, somehow taking notice of Ripper's little slaves.

But we didn't know if she knew what they were, yet.

"Drinks?" Ripper offered, placing down the electronic tablet in his hand. He rolled his eyes at my expression, "A Ripper is never too young for her first scotch, you already hit the bourbon."

Pain twisted in the pit of my stomach, making my fingers tighten around the metal bars. It made me feel like I was going to throw up the raw meat I'd shredded through earlier. Which was another thing I was waiting to pass along, with the pain.

Everything just tasted better uncooked, right now. Ripper said that was just an animal thing, that it would pass when the balance settled back in my mind.

"I'm going to shower." I muttered, forcing my stiff legs to carry me from the lab. Ripper winged his brows at me, "Or use the bath, or whatever it is."

By the time I made it up all the stairs, I had to stop. My hands were braced against my knees, my head hanging dangerously low, when Gwen emerged from the bathroom I was about to step into.

Her dark green eyes narrowed on me for a second, "Your bath is ready." She informed me curtly. Still not fond of me, and even less approving of my nature, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Is it because I look like her?" I rasped, pressing my back to the wall. Meeting her gaze without flinching, I felt a lick of fire under my skin, "Is that why you can't stand me?"

Gwen looked surprised by the demand, but in her true nature, she took it by stride, "Yes." She stated, her tone so firm that it made my mouth purse shut, "When I look at you, I see the baby girl I helped raise. I see Delia in her adolescence, and it makes me miss her."

"It's not my fault."

"I never said it was."

Tense silence thickened between us, it was almost draining. Truthfully, I had no idea what I wanted Gwen to say, but I knew it wasn't that. I wanted to hear that she didn't dislike me, and that it was just her own issues.