Evolution: Chapter 1

"How do we fix him?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes into a sharp glare at the man.

Ripper looked up from the rim of his glass, there was a honey like liquid in it that smelled spicy, and bitter. My nose wrinkled at the sharp stench of alcohol, if it tasted like it smelled then I don't understand why he'd drink it so much.

"Fix?" Ripper repeated slowly, leaning back in the leather cushioned seat with a wry smile. None of us ever spoke to him; it was like a silent rule. But Ripper was hard to ignore when he was always so present, his gaze like two pools of knowledge, always focused on us, "I need you to explain a little more, my dear."

I scowled at him, not in the mood to waste time. Eric left with Anders ten minutes ago, and they'd be back in fifteen with our next meal. I didn't have time to play games; Eric would be disappointed that I was even in the same room as Ripper.

"Three." I hurried to snap, clenching my hands at my sides. I didn't want him to see how desperate I was, but it was hard, because he knew I would do anything for him, "How do we fix him?"

I watched the realization dawn on Ripper, he placed down his glass, and kicked up an ankle to rest on his other knee. Ripper's full mouth pursed thoughtfully as he carefully considered what to say next, I could hear his heart. A steady beat made me feel more at ease; he wouldn't lie.

"You can't fix him, he needs to do that himself." Ripper began which wasn't the answer I wanted but his expression was surprisingly sincere, "You need to understand that your emotions run deeper than any humans, you feel everything more intensely. Which, unfortunately, includes the blessed curse that is grief. The best you can do for dear Theo is grab him a bottle, and a straw."

I sighed at the new assigned names at the mention.

Five then swanned into the room with a surprised scowl on his face, "Why are you speaking to him, Six?" He demanded striding up next to me, and turning his nose up at the mad scientist.

"Fredrick, please." Ripper began, running a hand over his face and propping his chin on a fist, "Not Subject Six; She is dead. This is your cousin, Selene. Just your average spring chicken."

Five's expression of horror towards his new given name was hilarious, "I don't like mine." He instantly objected with a shake of his head, "I want a new one."

Ripper told us that in society, people don't typically have numbers for names. Apparently, it was odd and would draw attention to us. Of course, we didn't listen to him. It wasn't until Eric, Anders, and Hayden began to chastise us on our original names being used that we started listening.

"Suck it up, kid." Ripper drawled pouring himself another glass. Five rolled his eyes so hard that they might fall out, knowing what would happen next, "My great uncle was called Fredrick. He was a moron too."