Evolution: Chapter 10

Imagine, being smothered under wet, hot, blankets.

They are so heavy, it's almost impossible to breathe. Pressed up hard against your face, drowning you under a suffocating weight. That is what it felt like being in Zero's presence for so long.

Her scent smoked out the entire cabin. Every inch of it had soaked up her overpowering aroma, making it impossible for me to stay in there for any longer. Yet, she made it impossible for me to leave.

Only one place in the entire cabin spared me; the shower.

Crisp water poured over my bowed her, and it had never felt so good. A bar of scentless soap had been placed on a small holder, and I scrubbed every inch of my body with it. Discomfort, abruptly followed by annoyance, overcame me when the faint scent of lavender filled the air.

Well, faint to anyone without my sense of smell.

I'd been in here for ages. Zero had been sitting outside the door since I entered, silent but present. She either didn't know the impact her scent had on me, or didn't care. It was irritating enough for me to stay under the spray of water, long after the heat had vanished.

But knocks on the door, abruptly ended my peace.

"What do you want?" I didn't even hear Zero rise from the floor. I snapped the shower off, stepping out of the tub, and towards the door, "My sister is in the shower."

Thanks to the steam filling the room, it made it impossible to tell who was there. It was only when I heard an indignant scoff, that I knew it was Freddie. A frustrated grunt left me, as I started to rub myself dry with the towel.

"We need dinner." Freddie announced, a waver in his voice. He cleared his throat, as if it were something lodged in there that had caused it, "I- we made plans to eat. I'm here to pick her up."

Stop speaking, Freddie. Every word he said was laced with uncertainty, feeding Zero's thirst for fear. I could smell his without even needing my nose, and felt my heart racing in my chest as I hurried back into the same striped dress.

"She can have her food delivered here." Zero drawled, not missing a beat. Her tone like ice forged from frozen disinterest, "Just like mine. Feel free to join us, if you really want to."

All my movements stopped, and so did my breathing. I begged that Freddie wasn't stupid enough to step through the door. Just stay outside, is all I wanted to scream, stay safe out there. I knew she wouldn't harm me.

But I couldn't promise other's that same mercy.

Ripping the door open, I found Zero watching Freddie with a sadistic smirk. She knew exactly what she was doing, especially when it came to him. Freddie's gaze was uncertain, he remained a few feet from the threshold, but moved forward when he saw me.

"I promised him." I broke Freddie's spell with a warning flashing through my mind. Forgetting, of course, that Zero could easily catch onto it, "I'll be back soon."

Zero looked amused by my attempt to spare Freddie from her, "You don't want to eat with me?" She looked genuinely disappointed by that. Her jaw tightened when she speared Freddie with a scathing look, placing blame.

"I need to see the other's." I tried to keep my tone assuring. Keeping my mind clear of the truth. If she saw how badly I needed away, who knows what she'd do, "You know they're important to me."

Her light brow furrowed, because she didn't understand why. However, my words done nothing to remove Zero from her position. To anyone else, it just looked as if she were leaning against the doorway, instead, of what she was actually doing.