Evolution: Chapter 15

"You felt that too, right?"

My lips parted as I exhaled in relief, lifting my head. Finally, the heat that swamped me was finally subsiding, I felt like I'd been buried in it for hours. What's going on now?

Freddie was stalking towards me with Tyrion in tow, and I narrowed my gaze. I hadn't spoken to the would-be alpha since our disagreement, and right now, I didn't want to talk to either of them.

"What's going on with you?" Freddie upright, demanded from me. Tyrion's brows were furrowed as he came to a halt a couple of feet from me, "You've been sending our weird vibes for days, and I've been waiting for you to talk about it."

Great. It didn't occur to me that they'd know, or even have a hint, about my hot flushes. Yet, Freddie was looking at me like he knew everything, and it was kind of annoyance. Especially because it was as if I owed him something.

"He's not wrong." Tyrion chimed in, his stoic gaze taking in my features. Something flashed through his eyes but it was quickly pushed aside, "I've felt it almost every day. Something's going on with you."

Now that just sounded like an accusation. Was there nothing I could keep to myself? My eyes sharpened into slits towards them, they were making me defensive. And I didn't even know why, and it was directing it towards annoyed.

"It's nothing." I gritted out, pushing myself off the wall I leaned against. They were the coldest thing around, making them a favourite for me, "Besides, even if it was something; I can handle it."

They exchanged a silence glance between them, "We think you should speak to Sloane." Tyrion finally suggested, making my hackles rise.

"So, what?" I began, nailing him with a hard look, "Now you want to crawl out from the shadow you were hiding under, to make suggestions?"

A low grumble rose in Tyrion's throat, a warning. I was more than aware at the tone I used on him, but I found myself not caring, "You can't pick and choose when you want to be alpha, Tyrion." I stated, huffing through my nose, "That's all I'm saying."

"Dude, what's your problem?" Freddie muttered, lowering his brows at me, "We just want to help. We know somethings up, and we know you've been trying to block the bond to stop us from seeing it."

Tyrion was staring at me with his head slightly cocked. His dark brows furrowed like he was trying to piece something together, "Is this Zero?" He finally broke the ice by asking, eyes suddenly alight with the notion, "Has she got in your head again?"

Why did they both think I was so vulnerable? It's like I had to point out to them I was the one who knew Zero. It was me who always knew when she was playing with my head. My mood was already down the drain, and now they were making it worse.

"Firstly, I've not messed with the bond; at all." I began in a barley tempered tone. I could feel my jaw shake from trying not to shout, "And secondly, I am more than capable of handling Zero. Is that why you're ganging up on me?"

Tyrion released a slight guffaw, "Ganging up on you?" He repeated, his jaw tightening and releasing, "I thought we were having a conversation, Selene. Or, is this an issue?"

His tone sparked in anger at my reaction to him, but it was true. Where do they get off, stalking up to me, out of nowhere like this? It made me feel like I'd done something.

Our would-be-alpha's gaze was impenetrable. It had been a minute since I'd seen him like this, so it took me by surprise. Authority dripped from him, just like it had before. Back at the snow cabin it had been normal, but not towards me.

"You were right though." Tyrion's tone was hard as steel, and even made Freddie blink at him, "I can't choose when to be alpha. So, consider this as my official first day back; now, what the hell is going on with you?"