54

After the police came, everything that happened was a blur. Ambulances came and took Grant and Beth right away, and then took both Will and me. We were driven to the local hospital, where I was treated for dehydration and cuts and scrapes. All of our families were contacted and the police were waiting to interview us and take initial statements.

A nurse came in to administer antibiotics to make sure none of my cuts were infected, and I asked her how Grant was. All she told me was that she would let me know shortly. I sighed in frustration.

I was given toiletries and shown to the bathroom where I could shower and change into a clean hospital gown. Lying under the bleached white sheet of the hospital bed, I struggled to get comfortable. An IV was stuck in my hand to replenish my fluids, but I hated it. It made me feel like I was attached to the bed, even though I could walk around with it since it was on wheels.

Lying there alone in the hospital room, I tried to fall asleep and get some rest. But as soon as I did, I had an instant nightmare. It was like a movie reel of all that had happened flooding back into my mind. Suddenly I remembered everything; all of the fear and uncertainty that I had been suppressing while stuck on that island now finally came to the surface. I woke up screaming and hyperventilating, unable to breathe normally. A nurse came running into my room and upon seeing me behaving that way, rushed to get a doctor. They put something into my IV to calm me down, saying I was having a panic attack.

The room around me seemed to slow down and I laid against my pillow. I felt woozy, like I was almost dreaming, but still awake. The doctor was talking to the nurse as I struggled to keep my eyes open. Coming up to my side of the bed, she checked my pulse and smiled down at me.

"You feel a little better, hon?" she asked, her voice sounding like she was in a tunnel.

"Yeah, I guess," I said slowly. "How's Grant? How are my friends?"

"I'll check on his status, but I'm pretty sure he's fine," she told me. "You've all been assigned to your own private room. It's a miracle all five of you were found and are safe."

"Four," I said groggily. "Not five."

She smiled. "That medicine is kicking in, huh? It should keep you very relaxed. But, no, I said five."

"What?" I asked. "There are four of us."

She furrowed her brow and looked down at me, patting my arm. "No, hon, five. All five of you were found safe and sound."

"No..." I struggled to stay awake, but couldn't fight it.

I drifted off and didn't come to until a while later. I overheard the nurse speaking with the police outside of my door. They quietly walked into my room.

Two police officers accompanied the nurse into my room and pulled up chairs alongside my bed.

"Did you find out how Grant's doing?" I asked the nurse.

She nodded and smiled. "He's good. Recovering now. I'll go see if he's awake, okay?"

I nodded happily. After the officers introduced themselves and informed me they wanted to ask me questions, I couldn't seem to keep my train of thought.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "It's just...if I could please see Grant first? I just want to make sure he's okay. I'd feel a lot better if I could see him."

They exchanged looks and one of them got up and went out into the hallway. He returned minutes later, followed by a nurse who was pushing Grant in a wheelchair.

"Grant!" I gushed.

He gave him a weak smile. "Hey, Ry."

"Are you okay?" I asked. "How are you feeling? Does it hurt? Do you need anything?"