19.

flagstaff | chapter nineteen

Dakota sighs as she walks through the door

Dakota sighs as she walks through the door. Since Sam ran off, she tried looking for him, but he was nowhere she could find him, so she decided to return home. Or at least what she's been calling home for the past week.

"Sam? You here?" She calls as she enters and Bones runs towards her excitedly. "Hey, boy. Is Sammy here?" Bones barks and Dakota sighs as she ruffles his fur. 

She walks through to the bedroom, and still finds no sign of Sam. Dakota drops onto her bed and pulls her knees to her chest as she lets out a few quiet cries. 

She wonders why she had to ruin things, they were going so well up until the dreaded 'L word' and now they're not going well. 

Why do I screw everything up? She thinks sadly as her tears continue to fall onto her knees. Why can't I just have a good thing? Why can't I just have love?

She knows it was her telling Sam she loves him that made him run. He panicked, and she doesn't blame him. It's way too soon in their relationship for love, but she's sure she loves him. No, not sure. She isn't completely sure, but she believes it is love that she feels for him.

Why else would this hurt so much? Why else would him running off be all I can think of? Why else would I be so paranoid about the fact he clearly doesn't feel the same?

Dakota sighs deeply as she falls backwards into a laying position and stares at the ceiling, there are a few patches of mould and condensation, but other than that it's a decent ceiling. 

A small laugh escapes her lips at the thought. What has she become, judging ceilings? Who does that? She shakes her head at the thoughts and closes her eyes, curling up into a ball and hugging one of Sam's shirts into her chest as she cries into it.

What? It smells like him, okay? It's not that weird, I'm worried I'll never see him again.

Slowly, she falls into a state of unconsciousness.

Dakota doesn't even notice when Sam slips in at midnight and smiles softly at her, before climbing into his bed on the opposite side of the room and falling asleep himself after a lot of thinking.