15.

flagstaff | chapter fifteen

Since the kiss, Dakota hasn't been able to stop smiling

Since the kiss, Dakota hasn't been able to stop smiling. But, Sam has been avoiding her, which she finds concerning. What if he thinks the kiss was a mistake? What if he doesn't thin of her the same way?

She sighs at the thoughts, but pushes them away as she starts laughing hysterically. Mind back on the kiss, Dakota falls backwards onto her bed with a huge grin on her face, ignoring any negative thoughts. Sam probably just needs time to think everything through.

But as minutes turn to hours and Sam still hasn't returned, Dakota starts to worry. She realises the sun has started to go down, and she furrows her eyebrows. 

The young blonde gets off her bed and grabs the small knife Sam had lent her earlier in the day, and she walks out of the bedroom. Sam still isn't back. Dakota gulps, worry increasing. She walks to the door and opens it, Sam and Bones aren't outside playing. 

Holding the knife up, Dakota walks out and closes the door behind her.

Okay, Sammy, if you aren't in any danger, I am going to kill you! She thinks to herself as she walks through the forest. 

The snap of a twig alerts Dakota to someone else walking about and she raises the knife in front of her protectively. 

"You should know, I am trained to kill!" She says out to the darkness, hoping whoever is there believes her.

"I'd be terrified if I didn't know you'd only had one lesson." Sam's voice calls back as the boy walks out with a smirk playing at his lips. 

Dakota glares at him as she drops her hand back to her side. "Do you have any idea how worried I was?" She asks angrily, storming towards him. 

"Sorry, sorry." Sam shakes his head. "I was busy."

"Busy?" Dakota repeats incredulously. "You were busy? Doing what? I mean, you kiss me and then you disappear for the rest of the day! What the Hell, Sam?"

"I said I'm sorry, Kota." Sam groans. "I freaked and then I realised that it probably looked bad so I decided I'd do something to make up for it. Let's go back and get changed, then we can head there."

"What?" Dakota furrows her eyebrows. "You decided to make it up to me? What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means, we get changed and then I'll show you." Sam states firmly, grabbing her arm gently and half dragging her back in the direction she came from, Bones running off ahead of them.

"So, you don't regret the kiss?" Dakota asks as they walk, looking at the floor with slightly tinted cheeks.

"Of course not." Sam replies with a chuckle. "I mean, unless you do."

"No, I really don't." Dakota shakes her head. "I told you that I like you, Sam, and I meant it."

"Likewise. I don't say things I don't mean, Blondie." Sam grins, both teenagers finally looking to each other. Dakota laughs and bumps her shoulder into him slightly. 

"Good. I wouldn't want to hurt you with my abilities to kill, Samantha." Dakota chuckles, Sam bursts into laughter at that and Dakota follows close behind. 

Dakota's eyes widen as she feels her hand touch Sam's softly and her fingers twitch towards his. She looks at him and they share a smile as they link hands and continue walking. 

They finally reach their destination and Sam opens the door, allowing Dakota to walk through first before following behind with Bones and closing the door. 

"Wear something nice." Sam advises, Dakota smiles and nods as they both walk through to the bedroom. Sam grabs his bag of clothes and walks out. "I'll change out there."

Dakota rifles through her bag of clothes until she finds a white dress with long sleeves, and a pair of brown boots. She quickly puts them on and does her hair, putting on a small amount of makeup and grabs her camera before walking back out.

"Are you dressed?" She asks before she enters, not really wanting to walk in to find Sam half naked. 

"Yeah, come on." Sam calls back to her. Dakota smiles and walks through the door, Sam's jaw drops as he sees her. "Wow."

"What?" Dakota asks with a small, amused smile.

"You. You look amazing!" Sam states with wide eyes. "I mean, you always look amazing. But. Wow."

Dakota giggles slightly. "You look quite Wow yourself there, Sammy." She grins. He's still wearing jeans and a flannel, but he somehow looks better than usual, not that he doesn't always look great. 

"Okay, come on." Sam grins, taking her hand and tugging her towards the door. "See ya later, Bones!" The dog barks and the teenagers walk out of the door. 

"Where are we going then, Samantha?" Dakota questions as they walk through the forest.

"You'll see when we get there, Buttercup." Sam chuckles.

"Okay, seriously. What is with you calling me that?" Dakota asks with a small laugh. She's not complaining, but she needs answers.

"Don't know." Sam admits with a shrug. "It just suits you. You're sweet and innocent. And I could crush you like a Buttercup."

Dakota laughs. "How romantic." She deadpans. Sam grins at her.

"Well, you know me! I'm Mr Romance." He winks. Dakota shakes her head in amusement as they reach a stream and they both jump over it. 

"Please tell me where we're going." Dakota pleads, but Sam shakes his head.

"It's a surprise, Kota. I don't want to ruin it!" He tells her with a grin. "And anyway, we're almost there."

Dakota groans but doesn't push anymore, deciding to just go along with it. "Fine. But I'm going to kill you if you're just taking me out to train some more."

"I'm not!" Sam laughs. "I'm not like that, Kota. I understand that that isn't something you can rush. I've lived through having to rush it and be perfect immediately, I am not putting you through that."

"Good." Dakota nods. "Because I don't want to kill you. You're too cute."

Sam blushes slightly and Dakota grins in triumph. "I am not cute. Puppy's are cute, I could kill you with two fingers. How is that cute?"

"You're just cute, in that 'I could kill you in seconds but I'd look cute doing it' kinda way." She explains, shrugging slightly and laughing when Sam shoots her an incredulous yet amused look. 

"Okay, we're here." Sam finally announces and Dakota's jaw drops as she looks around. 

There's a few logs in a circle with a pile of wood in the center, surrounded by stones. There are fairy lights around in the trees and cushions on the logs. 

"Wow." The blonde murmurs with a huge smile on her face. "Just, wow."