08.

flagstaff | chapter eight

"This is where you've decided to stay?" Dakota asks with a raised eyebrow as she looks at the small building

"This is where you've decided to stay?" Dakota asks with a raised eyebrow as she looks at the small building. It's quite clearly been abandoned, and it's in the middle of a forest. "Is it even safe?"

"Of course it is. I stayed here last night." Sam chuckles. "It's actually quite cool, Dakota. Just give it a chance." He sends her those damn puppy dog eyes and Dakota groans, knowing she's going to give in. 

"Fine! Fine. Show me inside." She rolls her eyes in annoyance. Sam grins at her and laughs as he drags her to the door and twists the handle to let them in. He flips a switch at the side of the door and a bulb lights up, revealing the room. 

There's a wall covered in postcard opposite her. A couple of chairs and a table with a few cans littering it and an empty pizza box. A few books are on the floor with some pencils and a notebook. Two small bowls sit on the floor, one has water, the other has some dog food. 

Dakota furrows her eyebrows as her eyes settle on the bowls, just as a dog comes bounding through from another room. 

"Bones!" Sam grins, crouching down to make a fuss of the dog.

"You didn't tell me you have a dog!" Dakota exclaims, crouching down to pet the golden retriever.

"Sorry." Sam shrugs. "I forgot to mention it. He's a stray actually. I found him Yesterday, he was following me around the park and had no collar or anything. He followed me back here and so I decided to let him stay."

"Well he's adorable!" Dakota grins, rubbing Bones' head affectionately. Soon she stands back up, as does Sam, and Bones runs off to the bowl of water and starts drinking. "So, sleep arrangements?"

"Right this way." Sam grins. He falters for a second though. "I hope you don't mind there's only one bedroom. There are two beds, but only the one room."

Dakota shrugs. "It's fine, Sam." She chuckles. "I'm just grateful to you for letting me stay here. I'll feel a lot safer with you around."

Sam smiles slightly, looking away and Dakota swears she can see a small blush, but she brushes it off with a smile of her own. "Come on." Sam says quickly, leading her to the room. He opens a door and flips the switch.

The room has two small beds with a pillow and blanket on each. A duffel bag is next to one, a flannel shirt and pair of jeans lay on one bed. A small desk by each of the beds with a candle on each in a stand so they can be moved. Some more books lay on one desk. There's an old couch at the other end of the room with a couple of cushions on, one in each corner. A pile of folded blankets on the arm of the couch. And a few weapons. Four knives. Five guns. Some ammunition. 

"It's cool." Dakota smiles, placing her rucksack and polaroid onto her bed. She had been glad to find out the demons had taken them when they kidnapped her. "So what do we do now?"

The two sit down on their designated beds and stare at the floor awkwardly. They'd had so much to talk about when Sam was explaining about the demons, but now they have nothing. 

"Tell me about your family." Sam shrugs, as the teenagers finally look at each other. Dakota smiles softly.

"Okay." She agrees. "It's me, my sister, Mom and Dad. We've always been pretty close, especially Dallas and me. Dallas is my sister."

"Wait, Dakota and Dallas?" Sam asks with a short laugh, raising his eyebrow slightly. Dakota chuckles slightly.

"Yeah, my parents met in Dallas and got married in North Dakota." She explains. "They wanted to name us after something important to them."

"That's sweet." Sam smiles. Dakota grins at him, shuffling slightly to sit cross legged on her bed, Sam doing the same on his bed. 

"Yeah." Dakota nods slightly. "I miss my family. They did nothing to deserve me running away from them. I just couldn't be around my old friends, and I didn't want to bring my family down with this sadness that just won't seem to go away."

"Yeah, I get that." Sam sighs. "Except my Dad did do something wrong, he won't let me or Dean have our own lives. Dean, he never takes sides in the fights I have with Dad. I often think he agrees with Dad though and just doesn't want to upset me." He shrugs his shoulders slightly. "But I've often felt out of place with them, ya know? There's just something about me, I don't know what it is, and I'm not sure I want to know either really. But there's something wrong with me. I don't know why I'm telling you this." He shakes his head and looks to the floor.

Dakota chuckles slightly. "I think it's that connection those demons spoke of." She reminds him. "I hate that I can talk about demons being real so easy!"

Sam grins at her. "Well you better get used to it, Dakota. Because they are real, and they seem to have some twisted interest in us."

"It was a trap." Dakota blurts out. Her eyes widen when she realises what she said, and Sam raises his eyebrows in shock.

"What?" He asks, confusion showing clearly in both his voice and his face.

The blonde sighs before explaining. "Before you showed up, the demons were telling me about how it was a trap for you. They knew you'd show up because of that weird connection we apparently have. They apparently didn't like what you're destined to do or whatever, I don't know. They didn't explain, just that they wanted you dead."

Sam pales slightly at this. "Uh, thanks for clarifying that for me." He smiles slightly. "It's getting late, we should get some sleep."

Dakota sighs sadly as Sam turns out the light and lays on his side facing away from her. Bones walks into the room and jumps onto the young boys bed, curling up at the foot and Sam reaches out to pet him before bringing his arm back to his side.

Dakota lays down in the dark and watches the silhouettes of Sam and Bones as their chests rise and fall with each breath they take, steadying as they fall asleep. 

Eventually, Dakota falls asleep too.