𝙗𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙩

Start from the beginning

I focus on the life still abundant in Eren's eyes, knowing that life would soon leave mine. "You know," I try to speak, barely above a whisper, "I always admired your determination..."

"No... please..." he pleads.

My breaths are ragged. I try to cling on, to him, to consciousness, but my strength is fading. I close both eyes, unable to resist it any longer, and allow myself to slip away into darkness.

But I can still hear Eren's choked voice... distant as if he were miles away.

"Why does this always happen... why do they take everything from us?" His hold on me tightens and he pulls me closer against his chest. "Our lives... Our dreams... gone because of them. Damn it! Damn it all!" He growls and I can feel the reverb against his shirt, the sound coming deep within his core. Its wrathful to the point of primal. "I won't give up. I swear on God, I'll eliminate all of them! Every single Titan, with my bare hands!"

BOOM! A deafening and sickening noise- like tearing flesh.

Eren's hold on me disappears.

I land on solid ground. The street, specifically. A wave of blood comes down on me like a broken dam releasing its flood, and I'm soaked once again. I gasp for breath. When I open my eyes my sight is tainted red. This is the least of my worries at the moment, however.

Tall. Not just tall— giant. Fifteen meters of sheer terror.

Somehow, I'm encountering a completely different Titan from the one I was trapped in seconds ago. It releases a screech, and ever so slowly, it's large head turns to look down at me.

I feel like a fragile shard of glass waiting to be stepped on.

The Titan's eyes drill into me, and I stare right back. As bizarre as it seems, something clicks. It just clicks. That emerald gaze... why is it so familiar?

The Titan stretches out its hand, inching closer and closer to my tiny shape. I can't move, lacking the stamina. After all that's happened... dying doesn't sound so bad.

The Titan picks me up on the palm of its hand, bringing me towards its mouth. I don't even scream. I don't even fight it. I simply accept the situation as he opens his wide set of teeth. Something catches my attention— how he places me. Deliberately. Almost like the beast is scared of eating me. Surely, my suspicions are ridiculous. Every titan's natural intention is to devour humans. It's what they do best.

But no. There's something different about this one.

He carefully closed his mouth and I'm enshrouded in darkness. I can feel the whole side of my body turn slick with saliva. By now I'm just waiting for the moment he tilts his head back and swallows me entirely. I'm ready to welcome my demise.

But it never happens.

Rumbling shudders and footsteps. We are walking. It appears the beast has no plans on eating me, but instead preserving me. Weird.

Eventually, my body gives out due to exhaustion. I black out.

"Annie, is she breathing?"

"Open the door!"

"This isn't real, this isn't real..."

Scuffling. Shouts. Threats.

"Dammit, she's not breathing! Does anyone know CPR?"

"There he is! Kill him!"

"Where are they taking Eren?"

"You're going to be okay. I promise. Dadda promises."

"Breathe!"