𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙜𝙤𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙖𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙

2
——

✱✱✱

THE NEXT MORNING felt surreal. Even as I opened my eyes just a crack to survey the room over the mound of my pillow, the reality that I was really here, really in this for the long run hadn't settled in.

I tried to fight the sunlight beckoning me to awake. It wasn't until the bustling and chatter of the other girls as they got ready made it impossible to sleep any longer that I finally dragged myself out of bed.

The first thing I discovered upon entering the locker rooms was that the showers lacked privacy. Squirmish, I decided to make this awkward experience as quick as possible and scrubbed myself down with some soap, rinsing off and wrapping a towel around my body. I then went back to the bunks and grabbed my uniform from under the mattress. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a teensy bit excited to put it on.

"What happened there?" said a voice behind me.

I was about to slip on my button-up shirt, but I froze. Damn.

"Sorry, that's probably personal." The girl with shining blonde hair and beautiful baby blue eyes said shyly. She had introduced herself yesterday as Krista.

I looked at her and the others nearby who had also taken an interest. Krista had referred to the scar on the bridge of my collarbone where it met the shoulder, close to my bra strap. It was small but noticeable, round, and resembled the imprint of a cigarette burn.

Not even I knew how it got there. I've never smoked in my life.

"Um... I don't know, actually. It's just always been there." I said, wanting to avoid the situation. Yes, it kind of bothered me not knowing what had happened, but I'm the type of person to keep her issues to herself. I gave Krista a small smile to let her know it was okay. "Weird, right?"

She smiled back apologetically and finished making her and her friend Ymir's bed. When I finished getting dressed, I looked at my reflection in a mirror on the wall. Not bad, I thought and fixed my hair into a half-up half-down style, with the upper half gathered in a bun. Time to crush day two.

I spotted another girl lurking behind me in the reflection and a chill ran up my spine. She had blonde hair and blue eyes like Krista, but that was where the similarities ended. Instead of kindness, her features were glazed over with cynicism as she watched me from her bunk bed. Something about her was hawkish and analyzing. I turned around and faced her questioningly.

"Can I help you with something?" I cocked an eyebrow. I'm usually passive and unbothered, but her energy was so hostile it was impossible to ignore.

She didn't seem to react at first. After three or four seconds, she got up and walked out the door without a single word. Lone wolf, much?