Hunted

The dog had been untied and left to find it's way home on it's own. The camp was as clean as we could get it. We had hidden as much as we could but we both knew it wouldn't be good enough to stand a close inspection. It was still obviously the scene of Travis's murder. We left together traveling fast to put as much distance between us and that place as quickly as we could.

We were hopelessly lost. Our only option was to try to get back to the place Jeff had left us to die and try to follow the tire tracks. Hopefully that would lead us  back to some place  we could hitch a ride.

We needed to get to some kind of town. We were out of supplies and hungry, the both of us still sore from our recent ordeals. A room and a shower would be nice too. We had refilled our water bottles from the spring. At least we wouldn't die of thirst. 

It took less time to get back to the place we had been left by that monster Jeff than it had taken me before to get to the spring. I was surprised by how close we were. This time I wasn't carrying Blake and trying to wrestle with two back packs though, so I understand why it seemed like I had carried him  farther than I had.

We spent as little time there as we could.  As we searched for the tire tracks I tried not to think about that night and what had happened here. It couldn't helped, visions of Blake and Jeff,  all the things Jeff had done to me. The beatings, the horror, the pain. All those thoughts kept jumping unwanted into my head. I could see that it was affecting Blake the same way.

It was no problem picking up the tracks the car tires had left. I thanked God it hadn't rained since all this happened. 

We didn't have to walk far before we came to a highway. I looked at Blake and he looked at me and shrugged. I picked a direction at random and started walking again, waiting for a car to happen by and hopefully hitch a ride to the nearest town.

We walked a long time before we heard the sound of an approaching vehicle.  Automatically we both turned, walking backwards and extended our thumbs.

It was an old Ford pickup, a 60's model I think, with an older gentleman behind the wheel and his wife sitting next to him. I was mildly surprised when they stopped for us. The old guy even backed up so that we didn't have to run to catch up. We reached his window as he was rolling it down and he gave us the once over.

"What are two kids your age doing out in the middle of no where hitching rides?" he asked us.

"Now George" the older woman fussed at him, "Thats hardly polite. Look at these kids, they have obviously been through some kind of ordeal or other."

"Martha..." George started to speak.

"George you hush" she interrupted him, then to us she asked "Where are you two headed?"

"The nearest town" I answered, "We ran out of supplies and we are hungry, we want to eat."

The old lady reached down into a brown paper bag at her feet and extracted two sandwiches wrapped in cellophane and handed them to George.

"Hand these out to them George" she told him, "Can't you see how hungry they are?"

George accepted the sandwiches and as he passed them out the window to us he tried again, "Martha, you know I'm ..."  Martha cut him off before he could finish. 

"Climb on in back kids" she called out the window, "We are headed into town our own selves, of course we will give you a ride. Ain't that right George?"

The old man named George sighed with a resigned look on his face. "Yes dear" He answered, "of course. If you had let me finish.." 

"Hush George" she told him, "Let them get in and get moving, can't you see how hungry they are?"