Chapter Two: Starstruck

"Andie!" It was hot, as usual. Eggs over easy on toast, orange juice, and a bowl of blueberries to the right. Andie could predict her breakfast every morning because it was always the same. "Andie, get up! Let's go!"
It was silent for a while as they ate. Mitchell clicked his tongue. "Are you ready for work?"
"As usual," Andie said, stuffing her mouth with blueberries.
"Well, don't be a tortise, love," Belle said, "hurry it up. And happy Tuesday."
Four hours passed of close observation. It consisted of six adorible smirks, ten cute "Good mornings" welcoming customers, twice he ran his fingers through his hair, five awkward eye contacts with that curly headed weirdo, and one conversation the two never had face to face.
After her shift, Andie went outside of the gas station to get some air before heading to the library. She undid her braid, letting her red hair fall down her back. She closed her eyes, inhaling dust, gasoline, and beef jerky. It was so hot she could smell the heat. Deep breath in and out. In and out. In and out.
"Hey."
Andie instinctively flinched at the touch on her shoulder. She turned around. "Will!" Her heart took a leap forward.
"You know my name?" Will stood close.
"We work together." Andie chuckled a chuckle that was obviously forced.
"Well not together together." The moment he smiled she felt snakes slide up her spine. She shivered, nervously playing with the jewel around her neck.
"Chilly?" His dark eyes seemed to see right through her.
"Um-um-um yeah." Andie's heart leaped almost painfully as he wrapped his arm around her waist. She melted in his arms for a moment. Her mind continued to race, feeling confused but comfortable, scared but safe, alerted but relaxed.
"What's your name?"
"Andilynn Jax Harper."
"That's a name I'll never forget." He let go of her as she looked at him. He was really there, she thought. She stared at him, mouth agape, this time not from across the gas station, but right here, face to face. "Next time... Talk to me. Don't be starstruck."
Andie nearly sprinted to the library moment after Will left. Taz immediately began telling her story once Andie showed up. "Hey Andie! Girl, lemme tell you what happened. Darian and I went to the diner, for a chill date again. Anyway, I had to force him to try salmon 'cause he ain't a fish fan. He tried it, didn't like it, so we just ate-"
"Chicken and waffles?" Andie asked impatiently.
"Yeah! Good guess, Andie!"
"Taz, I need to telk you something." Andie right away told her everything. Will's smile, his questions, his random hug. "Then he told me to just talk to him and not be starstruck." Andie faced Taz with a smile too wide for her face.
"Um...Andie..." Taz started.
"What?"
Taz tried to very carefully pick her next words. "This all seemed real right? Of course?"
Andie swallowed hard. "I was expecting more of an 'Omg, I'm so happy for you!'"
"Andie, just answer my question."
"Yes. Yes, Tazanna, it seemed real. What? You think I imagined all of it?"
"I-"
"Don't. Don't even bother to answer that." Andie got up, heading for the exit.
"Where are you going?"
"I'm going home early today." It only took her a few minutes to get home.
"Roast hash is on the stove, Andilynn. The rolls are by the refrigerator, as usual." Belle was knitting socks on the rocking chair near ther small television.
"Thanks, Gram."
"Are you feeling alright?
"Well, I'm alive. Aren't I?"
"Have you been taking your medication, sweetheart?"
"I will in a second." It was only 4:15 when Andie went up to her room. Right after taking her pills, she fell asleep. The next day seemed to come quickly.

"Andie!" It was hot, as usual. Eggs over easy on toast, orange juice, and a bowl of blueberries to the right. "Andie, get up! Let's go!"
She dragged herself out of bed and met her father and grandmother in the kitchen. They ate in silence for a while before Belle turned on the radio. "You ready for work?" Mitchell asked.
Andie stabbed a blueberry with her fork, "As usual," and popped it in her mouth.
"Well don't be a tortoise, honey," Belle said. "Hurry it up. Happy Wednesday."
The next four hours passed of close observation. It consisted of three adorible smirks, nine cute "Good mornings" welcoming customers, twice he ran his fingers through his hair, three awkward eye contacts with that freckle faced teen across the gas station, and one conversation the two never had face to face.
Finally when their shift was over, Andie followed Will into the parking lot. Right before he opened the door to his car, Andie thoughtlessly yelled, "Hey! Will! Wait up!" She sped walked to get to him. "Hey, sorry." For some reason Andie had to catch her breath like she'd just ran a marathon. "Sorry. I could tell I was being...uh... What? Starstruck? During work. It's just, it's really hard to come and talk to you. When you came to me yesterday, that was amazing."
Will looked at her. "I'm sorry. Have we met?"
Andie scoffed. "Will, c'mon.
"What? Who are you?"
"Andilynn Harper! Ring a bell?"
"No...but that's a name I'll never forget." He got in his car and left.
Not ten minutes later, Andie and Taz were sitting on the corner of the library. It was basically empty in there, apart from the librarian and all of the books. "So, as usual, Darian and I went to the diner. I love the, you know, the chill dates. Anyway, I had to force him to let me pay the bill. My baby's cute but he needs to let me pay once in a while. It's not like it's expensive to eat-"
"Chicken and waffles," Andie said dully.
"Yeah, good guess!" Andie rolled her eyes and sighed. "Andie, what's the problem? What happened?"
"You just-"
"Taz!" Darian, Taz's boyfriend joined the girls in the corner of the library. He kissed her quickly.
"What are you doing here?" Taz asked.
"Got off early. Let's go."
Taz giggled like a little girl. "Oh, okay, baby. Andie, you don't mind?"
Andie looked a Taz like she had put her under the spotlight. "Oh of course not." Another half-hearted laugh as she stood up. Darian looked at her, not realizing she was there.
"Hey, sorry. I-I didn't notice..." He seemed starstruck.
"Let's go." She said casually before leaving. Instead of leaving as well, Darian stepped toward Andie, timid like she was going to bite. But when she looked at him, suddenly his eyes were like a puzzle.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to steal her." He looked at her like he was trying to figure her out.
"It's fine. I'm getting tired anyway."
He smiled, then left. A bit shocked about what happened, Andie went home.
"Pasta is on the stove, Andilynn. The rolls are in the bowl, as usual." Belle was knitting a shawl on the rocking chair near their small television.
"Thanks Gram."
"How was your day?"
"It was fine."
"Promise me you've been taking your medicine, love. Your father and I trust you on this responsibility."
Instead of going straight to her room, Andie collapsed against the rocking chair, sitting criss cross. "Gram," Andie managed to choke out.
"What is it, Andilynn?" Andie knew although Belle never took her eyes off of her shawl, she was still fully engaged.
Uncontrollably Andie began to tear up. "Gram, how old are you?" She didn't take her eyes off of the carpet.
"Why, dear?"
"Just-you'll see."
"Sixty."
There was a pause. "How could you possibly have lived here for sixty years?"
"Cricket is my home. I guess subconsciously, I can never leave."
"Have you ever wanted to?"
"No, sweetheart."
"Not even when Mom told you she was going to California to marry Dad? Gram, you've never seen a city, or a lake or snow!"
"I did always dream of snow. White, fluffy, how cold it is."
"You've never left this desert. Everyday is the same."
Belle laughed. "I do believe that's true."
"Exactly!" Andie quickly rose to her feet. "I've been thinking. One day, you and I could get out of Cricket. Like go on a vacation."
"What about Mitchell?"
"Dad could stay here. He doesn't like travel very much."
"Where would we go?"
"Anywhere! London, Africa, Germany."
"Yes, dear. That sounds wonderful." Belle's hand voilently trembled as she went to touch her granddaughter's face. "You're so special, doll. I love you so much."
"Me too. Thank you."
Belle ended things with a sweet smile before Andie went up to her room.