☠₇☠

We settled by the stream to get water while Loki went off to hunt. We told him to hunt small if possible so we wouldn't waste anything. We could always smoke the leftovers so they would last longer. The stream water was fresh with no visible flaws like dead bugs.

"All of the flies are probably in the city," I thought morbidly.

Cairo went to cut some wood to make a splint for Rose. Ray stayed with us to guard in the event a Cynoid happen to discover us. I was staring back at the city through my binoculars. Even though Loki said it was deer, I still had a bad feeling.

"I am ready to get off of this country and away from the Cynoids," Ray grumbled laying on the ground. "If I never see one again, it will be too soon."

Rose nodded. She was usually more talkative and optimistic, even in the condition of the apocalypse, but the bite seemed to suck all of the joy out of her. I don't blame her, but I really wanted to slit Delta's wires.

Leader returned a few minutes later, rolling a log ahead of him. He started hacking it into smaller pieces, trying to get it the right size for Rose's leg. It was slightly curved for the back of her calf. Cairo continued to whittle it until it was thin.

When he was done it looked almost like a cast. Ray helped me set the cast then I bonded it together with string. Rose moved her leg up and down. "It doesn't hurt anymore, thanks Cairo!" 

"No problem," he replied putting his knife back in his boot.

The sun beat down on our black army tank tops as we waited for Loki. I kept glancing at the town, looking for signs of life. Ray slapped a hand on my back. "There aren't any raiders, Loki would have seen them. He can see stuff for five miles, remember?"

"Yeah..." I murmured. I looked over at Leader, he seemed to be looking around too. Maybe I wasn't the only one feeling uneasy.

"I'm going to go for a walk and scout ahead," I say standing up. "Will you be alright here with Ray and Leader?"

"I'll be fine, just don't rub in you ability to walk," Rose said with a hint of amusement. She was starting to act like her normal self.

"I'll come, just in case there are any raiders. Loki should be able to reach you two in time if there's trouble," Cairo said.

I was surprised, he never came with me on scouting missions. I waited for him then we walked off down stream. I turned back to make sure we were out of earshot. "I know Loki thinks its just deer, but I just have this feeling."

"I feel it too," Leader assured. "But if we really are being watched, we don't want them to know we know. We will have to get out of here as soon as Loki gets back. They might try to follow us."

"I think it's the Cynoids. Loki could cool himself to the temperature around him so he wouldn't be spotted on thermals. I think they're using that technique against us," I whispered.

We continued walking along the stream. It was shorter then I thought, it ended in a small pond. There was a small drop off that made it look like a mini waterfall.

Cairo looked at the stream, then at the pond, then back at the stream. He picked a stick off the ground and stuck it into the side of the pond just above the water.

"What are you doing?" I chuckled as he jabbed the stick into the mud.

"Something isn't right," he murmured staring into the pond.

He pulled out his map, ripping off the corner. He ripped off Washington, then threw it into the pond. I watched as soggy piece of paper drifted left as it sunk. I looked at Cairo with a puzzled expression. "What are you doing?"