Chapter Three

29 Days Left

God, is she beautiful.

Klaus's grip on the pencil tightens as he shades in the shadows on her face, smiling at her beauty. She seems so pure, so carefree, so innocent. It sparks something in his heart that he seems to have not felt for centuries.

Something about her...

"Klaus? The parties gonna start soon and there's still not enough cups for everyone to drink," Marcel's voice booms from the doorway to which Klaus smirks at.

"Go find some more, Marcellus. I'm busy."

His feet pad over to Klaus, peeking over his shoulder at the drawing.

"Who is she?" he asks, intrigued.

"None of your business," Klaus snaps, but it's playful and in good light.

Marcel rolls his eyes, gently pushing Klaus's shoulder in a brotherly manner, "ooh you must really like her!"

Klaus can't help but chuckle at Marcel's childlike excitement and teasing.

"I've only met her yesterday, calm down. She intrigues me, though, so what can I say?"

"Does she have a name?" Marcel pesters.

"Yes."

"And?" he eggs him on.

"Caroline," he finally states, his heart racing at simply saying it.

It's beautiful. Truly beautiful.

"Well I've never seen her so she must be new here. How'd you two meet anyways?" Marcel nags Klaus, but he's used to it by now. Marcel is like family to him: a son, a brother, a friend.

"I bumped into her accidentally. We started talking and I invited her to the party tonight."

Marcel freezes, "she's coming tonight?"

Klaus shrugs at if it's simple.

"Klaus, what the hell? There's vampires at this party, what if she's human? What if she doesn't know about us?"

He simply laughs, "she's not human."

"How do you know?"

"I just have a feeling. Now stop worrying and go find me those cups, will you? I want tonight to be a blast."

The party soon starts and Klaus's once lively mood dies down when he catches no sign of Caroline anywhere. He sighs, taking another shot to ease his mind a bit. He's close to believing she's not coming, but there's something that still tells him she's gonna show up.

He groans when his head throbs once again. It's been hurting all day today, not to mention yesterday.

"Klaus?" a voice calls and he nearly jumps when his mind swirls with the familiar sounding words:
"Klaus? Are you drunk again? I can't believe you!"

What was that? A memory of some sort?

However, all questions about what just happened fade away into the back of his mind when he catches the familiar looking blonde beauty awkwardly shuffling through the crowd over to him.

"Caroline, love. I'm glad you came," he stands from the stool to greet her with a warm hug, wondering if it may be a little too early in the relationship to hug her.

His worries are gone, though, when he looks back to see her smiling gratefully.

"I said I would, didn't I?" she arches an eyebrow, but there's a worried tone to her voice.