She slid down the slimy tunnel with a squeak. Just when she thought it was never going to end, Ella landed in the familiar pile of bones. She kicked sludge off her feet. "I hoped to never come here again."

James tumbled out behind her. Adjusting his glasses, he observed the area with a look of disgust. "I can see why. When did you have the misfortune of visiting?"

"Second year," Ella answered bashfully as James looked incredulous. She shuddered. "I hate being underground."

The pair began to make their way through the chamber, Fawkes flying ahead of them. James held his wand out firmly "So don't look in the snake's eyes and it's fangs are deadly. Anything else?"

"I'm not sure exactly how to kill it." Ella bit her lip. "The Sword of Gryffindor was in the Sorting Hat when we used it in the future."

James eyed her skeptically. "Ashes, if we die I'm going to blame.."

His words fell flat as they stepped in the main chamber. The stone snake sculptures were bathed in faint green light and water flooded the area, adding a more ominous vibe.

"Slytherin was one disturbed bloke."

Ella shook her head, her hands beginning to tremble. "James, stay back behind the pillars. Fawkes, you too." She looked at the bird who seemed to understand. "I'm going to try and call it." James opened his mouth to argue but Ella glared at him. "I will stun you."

Satisfied that both were camouflaged, Ella stood in the center of the Chamber. "Come," she hissed persuasively. Hopefully that would be enough.

After a tense moment, Ella's shoulders drooped. "I guess.." She was cut off by the sound of scales sliding on pipe and withdrew her wand. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the massive body of the Basilisk. "Fawkes!" she cried, shooting random jinxes to distract the giant snake. She heard a great caw and then the snake wailed. For a second time, Fawkes had spared her from the Basilisk and Ella opened her eyes to see the snake's bloody face. She ducked out of the way of its thrashing body. "TRY TO STUN IT!" Ella called to James. Grabbing her bag, she ripped it open. "Accio broomsticks." Two brooms came whizzing out and Ella sent one to James. "Fly!"

The chaser didn't need to be told twice and expertly rose in the air. "Come up from behind!" He called.

Ella flattened herself to the wood and whizzed forward. Aiming her wand, she shot several curses at the snake. It reared in anger and Ella dodged to the right as its head lunged. James muttered several curses opposite her. Feeling unsteady, Ella adjusted her grip momentarily.

"ELLA!" James cried.

She whipped up her head as the Basilisk snapped down. A sickening crunch was heard followed by a sharp cry. Ella watched in horror as Fawkes plummeted to the ground in a scarlet blur and Do isn't move again.

"No," she whispered.

Suddenly, the Basilisk whipped around and flung itself at James.

"PROTEGO!" Ella shouted desperately, but she saw James clinging to the broom with one hand. "Come," she tried in Parseltongue and the monster slithered to face her menacingly. Knowing she had to time this right, Ella waited as the fangs leered ever closer. She could hear James calling her name from the other side. It was now or never. "INCENDIO!"

A burst of flames came out of her wand right into the Basilisk's mouth. It gave a horrible cry as the heat scorched its insides before toppling to the stone.

Ella scrambled to her feet as she landed, running to James. Her face paled as the Marauder was clutching a nasty wound on his leg.

"I've never gotten a snake bite before," James winced through short breaths. "I'll add it to my bucket list."