Confiding in Lily Evans

Ella rushed to class, sitting down in the nearest seat with a huff. She turned to view who her Arithmancy partner was and internally groaned. Sirius sat smirking at her and her dearest cousin wasn't the brightest.

"Why the long face?" he teased, pulling her hair.

"Ouch!" she grabbed her tresses back "I found, to my misfortune, that I had the privilege of partnering a immature, unintelligent rascal," the girl teased, partly joking.

"The key words in that sentence are rascal and privilege. I'm the most sought after person in this school," Sirius leaned back in his seat as he got a mischievous gleam in his eye. "Would you like another partner perhaps? Moony? Wormy?Prongsie?" Ella stiffened and shot him eye roll, her stomach clenching as she remembered her broom ride with James. Sirius quickly notice of this and leaned forward with a smirk "Look what we have here folks, little Ella has a thing for our James."

Ella shoved his shoulder, disrupting her ink pot. She swiftly fixed it with her wand before facing her cousin. "Shut your mouth, I do NOT," she growled.

Sirius smirked, "Oi Prongs." Ella motioned fiercely for him to stop but James had already turned around. Ella focused on her paper, scribbling nonsense with her quill. "Switch me seats, El's being a bloody pain." He strode over and nudged James out of his seat.

James gave a sigh. "If I must tame the beast."

He carelessly gathered up his papers and slid in next to Ella as his eyes gleamed slyly, "So, another broom ride?"

Ella shot him a death glare, "I hoped you'd forgotten about that," she admitted.

"How could I?" James grinned. "You were terrified!"

Ella snorted, "No, you were being influenced by a potion concocted by Sirius. I had every right to be concerned. Besides," she gave him a daring look "I've been practicing."

"Oh really?" James challenged. "Let's ditch this joint. Lilyflower's not in it, so the class is pointless. I'm up for some flying. And we can see if you have improved."

Ella looked around, gazing at the small class. Normally she would have given a stern no. But she was beginning to see how much she wanted to enjoy every moment. "I'm in." James whooped. "On one condition," she grinned mischievously, "We do all our homework for our classes today first." James' face fell.

After ages of frustration and a cauldronfull of James's grumbling, the two headed out to the field. Ella absorbed the gentle sunlight as leaves swirled around them before settling to the ground. Fall was definitely in the air.

"So time for the truth, what house is the best?" James asked, with a spring in his step. The instant they walked out of the castle the boy had brightened and filled with energy. If only he had this for school work, Ella thought ruefully.

She shook her head, "You know I can't betray them."

"It's not betraying," James urged. "It's facts."

Ella suppressed as simple as she paused, "I think I've got a good places with all but I have a soft spot for my Gryffindor Girls."

James snorted, "Gryffindor girls? What is that? gang?"

Ella swatted him on the arm "No! They're all the Seventh Year girls I dorm with. And they're quite lovely I'll have you know.

James didn't look convinced. "You need a much better name."

"And what do you suggest, good sir?" his companion sniffed.

"Gryffin's Band of Misfits Excluding Lovely Lily."

Ella shoved him "That's even worse." She paused as she watched an owl return to the Owlery. "Gryffin's Band of Misfits... how about Gryffingirls?"

"Even more horrible," James mimed retching.

Ella sprinted down the hill. "Well it's so awful, it's sticking," her laughter rang out as they raced down the flowing grass.

Ella arrived back to the Gryffindor dormitories later that day with a flushed face and out of breath. She couldn't find Lily anywhere and knew she had to talk to the redhead. What she was feeling at the moment was dangerous. Remembering her and Hermione's preferences, Ella walked quickly to the library and there Lily Evans sat, absorbed in reading. She snuck behind the redhead and flicked her hair. "BOO!"

Lily jumped and turned around, promptly swatting her friend with the book. "Ella Connelly! I was reading!"

Ella laughed, "I'm sorry," she grew serious. "I really need to talk to you about something." Ella saw Lily's alarmed expression and quickly added "It seems rather ridiculous."

Lily gazed at her searchingly before offering a pinky, "Before I hear whatever this is, are we friends?" She glanced around the library warily. "And I'm not about to become subject to some horrible prank?"

"The best, you're safe," Ella grinned and shook on it.

"You never know with those buffoons," Lily referred to the Marauders as she tucked her book under her arm casually, "Now who were you with?"

Ella stopped, staring at her fingers "Lils do you like James?"

Lily's mouth dropped open. "You fancy James Potter?"

Ella looked down and scraped her toe on the stone. This might have been a bad idea. "Maybe I would if," gazing at Lily she decided to confide in the redhead. "Okay, I'm sort of starting to," her eyes grew uncertain. "But I'm still relatively knew here and it's bloody ridiculous for me to already fancy someone. And he doesn't know anything about me." Or that I've travelled in time and could ruin the future, Ella added silently. She finally met her friend's gaze. "And Lils," Lily looked up at her name, seeming slightly disconcerted. "I have to know what you think and if you hold anything for James."

Lily stood a moment collecting her thoughts. "I think I've always been rather cold toward James," she began carefully. "But there is a part of me that wonders if we work together." She took a look at Ella's resigned expression and shook her head vehemently. "That said, I think if you really like him, see what happens."

Ella looked sheepish. "Well I'm not going to do anything. I'll let it happen as it goes, but I wanted to talk with you so I wasn't seeming like a sneak behind your back."

Lily's eyes glimmered with mischief was they made their way to the common room, "So I'm the first you've told."

"And only one," Ella pointed a stern finger mockingly at the redhead as they rounded the corner. "I intend to keep it that way."

(EDITED 7/25/18)