A Second Confession

Ella walked into the Gryffindor girl's dorm humming. She had been in a cheerful mood since she had performed her Patronus and now she was studying everything she could get a hold of again, often holding meetings with Dumbledore to discuss her next steps. He knew about the imminent attack on Hogwarts, but the Headmaster had advised her to simply stay on guard. Ella folded her robes, lost in her thoughts until she turned and saw Lily Evans staring oddly at her bedpost.

Ella crept forward softly. "Lily?" she put a hand on the redhead's shoulder.

Lily jumped and turned away, "Sorry Ella, I'm a bit distracted today." She shook her head.

Ella sat on her bed and folded her arms. "Lily, what's going on?"

Lily gazed uncertainly at her bedspread, running her fingers along the patterns.

"Lily Evans, I'm not leaving until you tell," Ella pressed childishly.

Lily sighed and looked up. "I don't like James Potter, do I?" Ella just stared at her, feeling her stomach drop. "I mean he's always teased me every chance he got and was horrible to Severus. But I think some part of me figured we'd end up together, you know? It just logically made sense." She smiled ruefully. "I would never have admitted it in a million years and I don't think I like him now, but I feel like there's something I'm missing." Ella felt a wave of guilt as Lily looked at her in alarm. "Merlin's pants, what am I saying?" the redhead gasped. "Ella, I'm so sorry. I know you like him.. I shouldn't be talking about this. I'm not saying I like him, just that.."

Ella cut her off. "Lily, wait." She stood and locked the door, casting as many protective spells as she remembered. Then with a last "Muffliato" she turned and faced Lily's inquisitive stare that was becoming wary. "I have something to tell you and maybe it will help you understand." Ella blinked and ignored the selfish urge to keep the information to herself. The girl knew she needed her friend on her side. "I was born in this time, but as a child I was sent to the future."

Lily just gazed at her friend before bursting into laughter. "That was great, come out now Sirius. Remus, I know you're there. The joke's on me," she chuckled nervously, scanning around for the nonexistent Marauders. When Ella had no response, the redhead looked at her incredulously.

Ella sat down. "I needed protection so I was sent to the future to stay safe and gather information. I grew up and went through six years of Hogwarts before the war completely took over the Wizarding World and I drank a potion which restored my memories of my past life. It also sent me into this year..." she broke off as Lily's face was blank. "I can't do this anymore," Ella sighed. "Take my hand. Please Lils," she begged as her friend hesitated. Lily tentatively placed her pale hand in Ella's. Ella closed her eyes and using Legilimency, allowed Lily to see her memories. She blocked out ones of the Death Eaters and didn't show too much of the future, but rather a montage of memories and emotions flew through her eyes.

"Cissy, wait up!" a small Elizabeth Black called, interlocking her pudgy fingers with her big sister's.

"Wait for Bella," the older blonde reprimanded.

Elizabeth turned, "Come Bells!" she cried, pulling her dark haired twin close...

The scene changed and Dumbledore stood in front of an 11 year old Ella. He changed her hair to brown and wavy with her eyes hazel. "You must be careful to keep your disguise wisely," he urged, gazing at her over half moon spectacles. Young Ella nodded timidly...

There was a flash and second year Ella watched in disappointment as Draco called Hermione Granger that fateful word.

"How could you?" she hissed at her nephew ...

Now she was in the Gryffindor common room, laughing at Ron's disgusted expression as he described Divination. Harry looked on amused as Hermione rolled her eyes...

Then sixth year Ella was standing in a demolished corridor, pouring the potion through her lips to make her remember...

She was meeting Lily for the first time exchanging a smile, then pranking with the Marauders. She shivered as she revealed who she was to Bellatrix and stared as their interlocked hands glowed.

Suddenly Ella was back in the present, gasping as she was flung back against the wall. Lily was panting on the floor while staring at her with betrayal. "Who are you?" she hissed.

Ella pushed herself up solemnly. "I'm Ella Connelly." Lily opened her mouth, but Ella continued on. "I am also Elizabeth Black, among other identities. But," she fixed Lily with a stare akin to Dumbledore, "I am also your friend." Her gaze turned to a pleading one. "Please Lils."

Lily brushed herself off. "You don't know what it's like to be a Muggleborn then. You were using us." Ella began to argue, but Lily held up a hand sadly. "I don't know who you are anymore and I can't trust you right now."

Ella stiffened as her arm began to burn and she had to stop herself from clenching the Dark Mark. Not again. They were coming.

She nodded swiftly. "I still am me Lily and I hope one day we are friends again. Please keep my secrets." She winced. "I'm not always what I seem." Lily flinched and Ella stepped forward earnestly. "Lils, in the future James was for you. I shouldn't have interfered. Stay safe. They are coming." It was the least she could do. Ella squeezed the red head's hand as she rushed out the door, casting protective enchantments as she went so as to try and keep the common room guarded. As the girl went, she waved her wand and became garbed in the Death Eater apparel. Her mind raced glumly as students darted through the halls fearfully. And so it begins.

(EDITED 7/25/18)