Professor Dumbledore

Ella blinked and looked at the enormous, crowded room around her. She had made it. Strange instruments sat on random shelves throughout the tower, some seemed to glow or hum mysteriously. Heavy drapes hung down the walls in rich colors. As the girl turned, she inhaled sharply. There he was, the man at the head of it all. Albus Dumbledore sat with his hand hands folded, observing her with cautious blue eyes. "Answers. Please. I don't understand," Ella breathed, her eyes narrowed and tears threatening. The reality of what she had learned was beginning to set in.

"I must urge you to calm down Ms. Black. I know.."

Ella gave a hysterical laugh that was beyond her years. I must sound like Bellatrix, she thought, remembering the woman in Azkaban as worry flashed in Dumbledore's eyes. Frightened by the comparison, she took a deep breath. "I.. I'm so sorry sir, I'm just lost. You obviously had something to do with stripping my family from me from what I gathered of my parents' conversation." She paused. "But I can't call them that, can I anymore? I need to know why this happened and who I am and what you intend to do. I always felt a little off here, like I didn't belong and.."

Albus Dumbledore held up a hand, halting the girl's rambling. He leaned forward and gave her a long look before two words hung in the air "I'm very sorry for your pain." The Headmaster sighed "In my defense, I believed, and I still believe, that this is what was best for you. Now to understand why," he held up a hand again to hush Ella. "You must first see this."

He opened a cabinet that revealed a hollowed stone with some sort of strange substance. "A pensive," Ella remembered from a book she had read. Dumbledore pulled his wand out and waved it over the smooth surface as a raspy voice floated on the air.

"THERE WILL BE ONE THAT IS TO COME. ONE THAT IS TO UNITE THE WIZARDING WORLD. A PHOENIX WILL RISE FROM THE ASHES AND TIME WILL RIGHT ITSELF ONCE AGAIN. WITH THIS, EVIL WILL BE DESTROYED WITH THE FIRST SNOWFALL."

Silence reigned over the tower as Ella sat with her eyes wide. "You think that's me?" she gasped.

Dumbledore looked over his half moon spectacles at the young girl. "My dear, I must admit I'm too proud and I tend to keep others in the dark thinking it best. However, in your case, you must know and now you just need to listen," he held up his hand again as Ella opened her mouth. "In order to do so, I must ask you refrain from any questions until the end." Ella nodded quickly. "On November 16th, twins were born to the house of Black. At the exact moment they were born, the first snowflake of the season hit the ground. I received this prophecy the previous summer and was quite concerned so I vowed to keep an eye on these girls to protect them from whatever should occur and watched them grow up. Miss Bella was feisty and the obvious choice, she had quite a temper and the family began to train her for battle at a young age. You see, your birth mother and father had heard the prophecy as well. They were wise though and kept that knowledge to themselves in the attempt to keep their children safe. I'm sure you guessed that they were heavily involved with Death Eaters, but I have reason to believe that after your disappearance, John and Mae Black slipped us useful information and became spies of a sort," Dumbledore reassured Ella, seeing the horrified look on her face at the thought of Death Eater parents. "Never openly of course. I'm sure they never suspected that Elizabeth Black would be the one the prophecy was talking about. You were an optimistic child with a light heart and usually turned away from the encouragement to become involved with the negative actions of your family. You never really fit the family name, but still I saw that you brought them together. Your parents kept the secret well but Voldemort has his ways and discovered the prophecy. He saw who you were and knew that you posed a threat. You stood out Ella because though Bellatrix was your twin, she was heavily tied to the family while you.."

"Were a phoenix rising from the ashes," Ella smiled sadly.

Dumbledore gave a gentle nod. "Precisely. On November 16th, Voldemort sent one of his Death Eaters to draw you away from the house and then bring him to you."

"Tell me I didn't follow him..." Ella groaned.

Dumbledore gave a small chuckle "Do not be so hard on yourself. You were a young child and had met him at several gatherings. Luckily, I had placed a Beacon Spell upon you and Bellatrix after you were born and quickly followed. I interceded and after a memory spell, the man thought he had already completed his job and left to inform Voldemort. Then I was left with a upset and confused 8 year old and didn't know what to do." At this point Ella's eyes were narrowed, she wasn't exactly liking what came next. "I erased your memory and wrote a letter to my future self, explaining what I could." Dumbledore looked down "I figured to complete the "time" part of the prophecy you needed information and for that, the future would keep you safe. I cast a spell delivering you to the Headmaster's office in this time, unintentionally I must add. I wasn't quite sure where you had to go, just forward and preferably to when I was still alive. Once I sorted everything out, I sent you with the Vines, a pair of bright and successful Aurors, who would have a good influence on you. I altered your memory again so that this was the only life you knew and the deed was done."

Silence filled the room again. Ella fiddled with her skirt before finally raising her eyes from the floor. "Can I have my memories back?" her voice wavered.

Dumbledore looked at her sadly. "I'm afraid the time is not right yet."

Ella stood, but Dumbledore waved her back with a calm hand. "Think Ms. Black. If you remember everything, why would you not go back now? The temptation is great and you must learn everything you can here with an unbiased view."

Ella sighed. She didn't have much of a choice. The girl straightened and tried to respond as she had been taught to. "I accept this mission and wish to start immediately," the proper tone sounded rather absurd for the situation.

Dumbledore gave her a chuckle. "I will give you private lessons starting immediately to prepare you for what is become," his eyes twinkled. "Elizabeth Black."

(EDITED 7/23/18)