"Jade, babe, you're alright now," he reassured me, pressing his forehead against mine.

I blinked several times, trying to clear my blurry vision. I realized my brother was soaking wet but unlike me he wasn't shivering. Looking at him I didn't doubt a second that he was the one who got me out of the water. I basked in the warmth he was emitting, I was glad he had me engulfed in his arms, it was the only thing that kept me from shattering into pieces.

I heard footsteps coming our way but I had no energy left to turn my head to check who it was.

"I-I called the ambulance, they're on their way."

Penny.

Tristan's arms tightened around me to the point it hurt my ribs but I was too exhausted to protest.

"Tristan, I'm sorry. I thought she could swim, I thought she was -I thought she was just messing with me," she sniffed, the shock was clear in her voice.

My brother didn't answer her but I could hear him clench and unclench his jaw - he was trying to keep his cool, trying not to lunge at her and tear her a new one.

"Tristan?" she tried again. "I'm really sorry."

"Stay away from her," he growled.

"Let me help -"

"Stay the fuck away from her!"

His angry voice reverberated through his chest and I could feel the vibrations on my back. He lifted his knees on either side of my legs and I felt like I was enclosed in some cocoon. I was fighting against the exhaustion taking over. The sirens of the ambulance could be heard in the distance and I tried to keep myself awake but it was too hard.

"It's okay I got you now." Tristan's warm breath tickled the shell of my ear. "I'm not going anywhere."

Knowing that I was in safe hands and that he wouldn't let anything happen to me, was all the permission I needed to succumb to my fatigue.

FADED

The paramedics checked my vitals and made sure I didn't suffer irreversible brain damage. Luckily I wasn't under water for too long, but because of my panicked state, I allowed too much water into my lungs which is why I had lost consciousness. I was lucky and I knew it was all thanks to Tristan for stepping up on time and doing the right thing. I wanted to go home but I was forced to check into the hospital. A physical exam and some basic blood tests were apparently recommended. Tristan didn't want to take any chances and agreed.

I was glad I could finally take off my swimsuit, I don't think I'll ever wear that one piece again. They gave me a hospital gown and Tristan helped me tie the strings on the side. I was currently on one of the hospital beds where a nurse had just taken some blood. I was hooked on some wires, checking my heartrate and blood pressure.

Tristan was behind the curtain talking to a nurse when Lauren suddenly came in. She didn't give me time to say anything when she suddenly flew at me, hugging me tightly.

"Hey, you," I laughed tiredly, patting her back.

She didn't let go for a full minute. When she finally pulled back I caught her teary eyes.

"How're you feeling?" she asked as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm fine, just worn-out. I miss my bed, I just wanna sleep."

"I had to tell you from the girls to get well soon. Everyone at school is talking about the incident."

"Great," I groaned. Those gossip lovers are probably having a field day with this. I watched Lauren and grabbed her hand in mine, giving it a squeeze. "Thank you."