Chapter Fifty-Five: I Am Not Afraid

Music is "Please Tommy, Please" by John Paesano from Maze Runner: The Death Cure OST.

Picture is Tuppence Middleton as Elaine Maximoff.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"I know what I am...who I am..and I am not afraid."

- Matt Murdock, Daredevil

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

This is, by far, the biggest operation I've run. As a primary Avenger, back in the old days when I went by the alias Glorious, I led quite a few of them, both on the battlefield and from mission control. Those missions spread across cities, maybe states or into neighboring countries. But this mission spans the entire planet.

The buzz around the compound causes me to pause and lean my body against the rail of mission control, arms braced against the metal poles. Analysts and SHIELD agents swarm around me, heroes come and go, but I close my eyes and focus on my breathing for just one second. I think I deserve a single second to just breathe, after all I've been through.

This is it. This is our last battle. Win or lose, what we do today will echo throughout eternity.

Then my eyes open once again, and I grab the nearest com and shove it in my ear. I turn back towards the communications array in front of me, attention shifting between it, the large screen at the front of mission control, and those informing me of the situation. Right now, I'm not Mistress Death. I'm not Gloria Maximoff: mutate or the hero from the Norn prophesy. I'm Lightspeed, the Avenger, the Titan Killer. I'm in charge right now as my Avenger title alone.

I have dozens of people reporting back to me on various things, both in person and over our com link. Steve informs me that the heroes outside are prepping for a fight. Stephen, Wanda, and the rest of the magical heroes are flying over the city, putting spells in place to prevent wormholes from opening. Vlad tells me my family is safe in the middle of nowhere. Sam announces that President Carter has given the all-clear for the military to back us up. Carol reports that the Alpha Flight recruits are already in different aircraft, awaiting orders.

Thor has yet to return from Asgard, but the Science Bros are ready to deal with Vision when the android returns. Tony has also instigated the Iron Legion over the tri-state area to ensure as much control as we can. Bucky has contact with Wakanda, and T'Challa is raising their defenses early. Natasha and Clint are in contact with SHIELD all over the globe. Elaine and Pietro remain by my side, doing anything I ask of them as mission leader and the only one who might know how to change today's ending.

The first person I seek out after the chaos ensues is Killbane. I have one question above all the others that I must ask him. This question involves Elaine, and I'm not entirely certain I want to hear the answer. He might not know the answer, but if anyone would know why she's still here in this moment with us, he will.

I find him heading towards mission control, marching down the hallway with veracity. "You're back," he says, a hint of a smile on his face. "Rogers told me everything. Time travel, Thanos, the Gauntlet, everything. Nice look, by the way."

I give a single nod in response. "Thank you for training me like you did. It might've been difficult, but that recharging trick saved my life multiple times."

Killbane's smile widens. "Is that gratitude from the almighty Gloria Maximoff I hear?"

I roll my eyes. "And there goes your ego again."