Chapter Thirty-Six: Cosmic Heavy Hitters

Music is "Sentenced to Death" by Colossal Trailer Music.

Picture is Ebony Maw and Doctor Strange.

•~•~•~•~•

"The galaxy doesn't need guardians...it's going to need cosmic heavy hitters as scary as the menaces they have to face."

- Peter Quill, Star-Lord

•~•~•~•~•

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

The next morning, I make a run for Killbane's containment cell in Tony's lower levels. I get a running start down the hallway, flicking my wrist to throw a portal of golden light into the center of the long, empty space. I jump through it, entering the place where he's kept on the other side.

Killbane sits up from his reclined position, a smirk on his face. It drops when he sees the look of terror on my pale features. He stands to his feet, walking over to the glass that separates him from the rest of us. "What's happened?"

"I had another vision," I tell him, inferring to the vision I've had before of Death and Thanos. "He's coming. He's coming, and he's bringing the Black Order with him." Killbane stumbles backwards, his dark eyes becoming wider, as if he knows something. "I saw Corvus Glaive and Thanos laugh as he used the Gauntlet to crush a moon into a nearby planet. We're running out of time."

Killbane, shakily, takes his seat once again. His eyes stare off into empty space as he replies, "I knew the Black Order in one of my many lives. I was one of them. I did...terrible, horrible things with them, all in the name of power." He shakes his head, looking to me. "I assume you know of them from your comics, yes?"

I nod. "They're five of Thanos' children. Gamora and Nebula were training to become part of the Order. This is much worse than I thought. We have to start training now or we won't stand a chance in hell."

Killbane's brow furrows. He sits back, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why have you come to me, Gloria?"

I point to him, sharply. "You're going to train them."

He raises an eyebrow in defiance. "'Them' who?"

"The mutates you created all those years ago. They're your fault, and you're going to train them. You know their powers and how it works better than anyone."

He nods, thinking to himself. "Why can't you train them?"

I scowl. "Because you trained even me. Besides, I have to train with the Gauntlet when Stephen's finished with it."

The com on my wrist starts to blare, a loud noise that catches my full attention. "Speak of the devil," Killbane mumbles.

I answer the call. "Glory here."

I hear Doctor Strange's voice on the other end. "The Gauntlet is complete! Wanda and I just finished it! It's ready to be trained with...I think."

"You think? Stephen, I'm going to be wearing that thing. I don't want a 'think' in that sentence."

"Me neither, but it's just...out of this world. It's even more magnificent than the original. We really have something great here, Glory. When you can, get over here."

I nod, knowing he can't see it. "Got it. I'm on my way." I close the channel, and turn my attention to Killbane. "Will you do it?"

After a moment of hesitation, he nods, catching me off guard. "I suppose I must. It's not like the end of the world hangs in the balance."