Part Three: One Step Ahead

Music is "One Step Ahead" by A Great Big World.

Picture is of a couple ice skating.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

Part Three
One Step Ahead by A Great Big World
Fix You by Coldplay
I Found by Amber Run
All This Time by OneRepublic

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

COLD DECEMBER NIGHTS
The Christmas Special of 2016

Part Three: One Step Ahead

The next morning, the cold air of Mazyr bites at my uncovered toes. I tuck them back under the covers, hissing slightly at the chill. Eyes still closed, I feel someone's arm wrap tighter around my waist, warm breath moving my messy bangs to tickle my nose. I move them to the side, glancing upwards at the man sleeping next to me. Steve sighs in his sleep, a small smile curving the corners of his lips.

Without waking him, I attempt to roll over to see the time on the clock. Unfortunately, there are no lights on anywhere. No lamps, no light from the bathroom we left on because I am still a big baby and afraid of the dark, and no clock lights. Steve's arms tighten further when I attempt to wiggle out of them to check my phone on the counter in the kitchen. "Stevie," I mumble, rubbing circles on the hand that rests on my ribcage. "I need to get up."

Steve's eyes slowly open, one peaking more than the other. When he sees me, he gives a small grin. "You stayed."

I roll my eyes. "Well, I was tired, and you were comfy."

"You sure it wasn't because you liked cuddling with me?" He smirks.

I push away from him, and he lets me go with a small chuckle to himself. "Yes, Steve. That's totally it, you big oaf." I swipe open my phone, seeing the time labeled seven in the morning. "It's seven. Why the hell are the clocks out?"

I hear Steve roll off the bed, looking out of the window. "Snow storm hit last night. Probably knocked out the power lines."

"Greaaat. No wonder it's so fucking cold."

I set my phone down on the counter, stomach rumbling as I do. Steve's arms wrap around me again, pulling me back into his chest. "Hungry?"

"Aren't you?" I turn around, wrapping my arms around his neck with a cheeky smile. "So last night wasn't just a really good dream?"

Steve's face turns confused. "What happened last night? I don't remember anything big happening."

"Um..." I put my arms back to my sides, embarrassed. "Well..."

Steve's face lights up in a fantastic grin, tightening his grip enough to lift me off the floor and twirl me around. "You fell for it!"

I playfully swat at his face, attempting to wipe that smug look of it. "You're horrible, Empire State. I thought..."

He places me back down, catching my lips in a good morning kiss. "Never. Too good to be a dream." He pulls back, dropping his arms. "How about you get your shower, and I'll go get us some breakfast somewhere. Then we can see about the car and how bad the storm wrecked the roads. We can make it to Moscow before the sun sets."

I nod, gifting another chaste kiss. "Sounds great. 'Cept I thought you were gonna wanna shower with me." I give him a wink as his face turns bright red.

"Um... well, that wouldn't be very gentlemanly--"

"--Relax, Stevie," I giggle. "We'll get to that stuff later."