Chapter ThirtyEight

Start from the beginning

I placed the mug down on the coaster and pulled her into me. "I won't put you through any of that again," I said.

She smiled weakly. "Okay."

I kissed her gently on the forehead. "You got a spare flannel and toothbrush?"

"Left it out on the sink. Help yourself."

I thanked her then got up and headed to the bathroom. I spotted the flannel and toothbrush on the sink. Wouldn't make sense me getting a shower, could wait till I got back to mine. I washed my face thoroughly and brushed my teeth then left the bathroom.

As I passed the bedroom I heard blubbering and other distinctive noises. I peered through the crack in the door and realised Janai was wide awake, kicking her feet and chatting away to no-one in particular. I laughed, entering the room and watching her move about in the Moses basket. She was tiny, forgot how much I loved children. Couldn't wait till I had my own, with the right girl aswell. Janai peered up at me curiously and dribbled.

"Afternoon cutie," I greeted with a smile. She kicked her feet again and brushed her hands against her cheek. "What's your sister doing leaving you in here all alone, eh?" I picked her up, making sure to support her head. She watched me as she chewed on her bottom lip with her gum. "You must be hungry init? Come; let's go cuss your sister." I left the room and went back into the living-room to see Aaliyah relaxed on the sofa watching Maury. 

"Look who's awake," I announced, holding her up.

Aaliyah peered up and smiled at Janai. "Since when?"

I shrugged and sat back beside her, handing her Janai, who was still blubbering merrily. I watched her chew her lip with her gum, still dribbling. "She looks hungry."

"I fed her not too long ago."

"If she's anything like your mum, I'd feed her again." We both knew Aunt Kam had the deadliest appetite. Anytime she came round mine she'd leave the fridge empty. Aaliyah laughed and nodded in agreement.

"True. She eats quite a lot. I'll feed her in a minute." My phone went off. I checked to see I had a text from Christian. I put my phone away; I'll get back to him in a bit. "So glad you're back, Kayden. Your parents have been worried sick."

I rested my head back and breathed deeply, peering up at the ceiling. "Yeah..."

She gave me an odd look, now catching on. "You have seen them, right?" I shook my head and her eyes widened. Janai began to fiddle with her necklace. "Kayden...why?"

"Didn't wanna complicate things."

She scoffed. "Complicated isn't even the word. You have to see them." I rolled my eyes. She loved to nag, come like my mum.

"Went back there yesterday, saw Zaine," I informed.

She edged closer, the curiosity sparkling in her pretty brown eyes. "What did he say?"

"It's not about what he said. It was the way he looked at me; like he didn't know who I was anymore."

She sighed and began to rock Janai, who was now chewing on her gown. "Were your parents there?"

"Nah, they went out."

She shook her head in dismay. "You really need to see them. They think you're dead."

"Bad things tend to follow me around. I don't want my family to pay for my mistakes. I can't be seen in that house."

"I just hope you know what you're doing."

"I do." And I did. Depending on how things turn out this week, I'd be returning on Saturday.

Aaliyah fell into deep hesitation, before turning back towards me. "Have you seen her?" she questioned. Straight away I knew who she was referring to.