39 - Megan: Last December

Start from the beginning

It was hard to go through her pregnancy without remembering the twins. Everything was so different with the twins because she and Peter were together. He was there for the ultrasound which took twice as long. She saw his reaction to first finding out that there was a boy and then a few minutes later a girl too. She had to savor the good news of a normally developing girl all by herself.

The week before Christmas, Peter sent a text at eight-thirty at night after the twins were in bed and she had been cleaning up the kitchen, thinking about her bed. He texted, presents on the porch.

She went to the front door, and there was a pile of presents. How had she not heard him? If she suspected it before, she knew he was avoiding her. The only reason she could think of was because she snapped at him on Thanksgiving. He was also keeping away from her parents, which was unlike him. This change intrigued her.

The inevitable occurred the weekend before Christmas. It was a decent day for December and Megan suddenly craved one of Rick's grilled pesto and chicken sandwiches. She strolled in and there was only one customer. From the van outside, he was a plumber from of Portland. Rick was busy behind the counter.

"Hi there. I'm dying for a chicken pesto."

"It will be quicker if you come help me. I've got an order for a dozen sandwiches. Come on back."

She shed her coat, washed her hands and went to work. They were in a rhythm when the bell rang as the door opened. Megan looked up to see her mother walk in. She froze as her mother looked her up and down. Now she knows, she thought.

"I came for a few things, but I'll come back later."

Rick yelled. "Marie, Alice is out, go upstairs. Megan, go talk to your mother."

Both obeyed although Megan did not know why. Was it respect for Rick? Once upstairs, her mother looked at her again and shook her head.

Megan said, "I can't believe you didn't already know."

"Why would I?"

"Because everyone else does."

"Your father?"

"Don't give me that look. You know he sees me, just like you spoke to Drew when Dad was being a jerk to him. At least, Daddy had the good sense to apologize and move on." Megan was long past trying to be polite to her mother.

"How could you be so stupid?"

"I don't know. I didn't plan it if that's what you're wondering. Now that it's happened, I love and want this baby."

"What will people say?"

"What people? Everyone that I know has been kind and sympathetic."

"Poor Peter."

"Peter has no issue with this. Speaking of Peter, why is it he can get along with me and you can't? I didn't divorce you. I get it, you think I was rash and made a mistake. Move on! It's been almost six years. What is it you want?"

"You know what I want. I've wanted it for as you say almost six years. Now it will never happen because you've done this to yourself."

"When people ask if you're spending Christmas with your kids, what do you tell them? I tell people I spend my holidays alone, because my mother hates me."

Megan walked out the door and down the stairs. She walked past Rick. In the back room, she sat on a case of Shipyard IPA.

She waited, and eventually Rick came to find her. "She's gone. I take it that didn't go well."

"No. How can she hate her own daughter? I could never hate Sophie or Nick."

"My daughter never comes home and I just miss her. I'm not afraid to tell you that we all want what your mother wants. The rest of us know that it's your life. That doesn't stop us from hoping and praying."

"Why does everyone care so much?"

"Because we all care about you... both of you... all of you."

Not knowing how to respond, she said, "Am I getting my panini? I'm starving."

On the walk home carrying her warm sandwich in a bag, she decided to hell with her mother. It was a week to Christmas, and she would not let her get her down.

Christmas came and Peter had the twins on Christmas Eve. He brought them home, because they always slept with her on Christmas Eve even if it was a weekend. When they woke on Christmas morning Santa had come with all the gifts that Peter had left on the porch. She felt bad, so she sent him a video clip. He replied, thank you.

He didn't push for the kids this Christmas Day. She made plans with friends. They went across the street so they could play with Ben and Ivy. Kristi served brunch. Her mother was visiting. She was more enjoyable, than Dan's parents.

Carol was a widow and seemed to enjoy the single life when she heard about Megan and Evan, she said, "I'm glad I'm old enough that I don't need to worry about birth control."

Kristi said, "Mom! Watch out for STDs. You know they were called VD in your day. You need to use a condom."

Carol replied, "Looks like Megan forgot hers."

Megan laughed and was glad that Dan had left the room.

Later she and the twins went to Karen's. She had invited all the holiday orphans. Megan had a wonderful day. It was nothing like her lonely Thanksgiving. She found she thought of Peter a few times and wondered what he was doing. All but one of the twin's Christmases, they had been apart. One of them was always without them and she was glad it wasn't her for once.

As she fell asleep, she remembered the twins first Christmas. That had been another wonderful day. She had no idea that life was about to change.