34 - Peter

By the time he dropped the twins back with Megan, he had something else on his mind. While they played after lunch he flipped open his laptop to check email and pay some bills. Although he wasn't a fan of Facebook, he checked it occasionally. He didn't keep up with many of his high school friends. They had all moved in different directions. One in particular, he held directly responsible for his divorce and had blocked him years ago.

Oddly enough, he kept up with Megan's friend, Jen, who was in New York and he was still friends with Jake Libby. He was doing well out in the Chicago area. Peter was grateful that the Windy City traded Dan and Kristi for Jake Libby. Still it was not unpleasant to see that his wife had just had a baby. He wondered if Megan ever thought of her first boyfriend, although it was her second one that he wanted her to think of.

He had a message which intrigued him, but when he opened it he wished he hadn't. The message was from his father, Joe Brenner. The same, Joe Brenner, that came home from work one day packed his clothes and said, "Kathleen, I can't stay here any longer. Kids come hug your pop goodbye."

For a long time, Peter couldn't understand why his father left him. Leave your wife if you need to, not your kids, he would tell him if his seven-year-old self had the chance. Peter had a lot of guilt and did everything he could to not be like his father. He didn't leave his wife, and he made sure he was there for his kids. He devoted his life to them and his work. He would never be confused with a deadbeat dad.

Peter also couldn't understand why his mother didn't divorce the son of a bitch and move on with her life. Although he thought he had a good idea now. Like her son, she must still love him. It was hard to understand why, but Peter wouldn't want anyone to question his continued love for Megan. He had every reason to hate her for her part in ending their marriage.

He had often wondered if his mother and father had been in contact all these years. Why was his father contacting him? Had he contacted Becka or Liz? He could go downstairs and ask Becka, but wouldn't she have told him right away? It might be best to assume he drew the short straw and keep it to himself.

He reread the message:

Hello son (what right did he have to call him son?) It looks like you've grown into a fine man (what on his profile showed that? Status: not specified? He hated to list himself as divorced. Likes: Biochemistry? or Cancer research? or Participation in charity 5Ks? perhaps or mostly likely the pictures of the twins which showed that he was the father of two extremely cute kids) You have a fine family and your son reminds me of you as a boy (NO, his family was broken and the last time he saw him he was Nick's age) I was thinking it's about time we reconnect. Dad

Peter got angrier with each line. He wanted to shoot back a message all right. It would be: Go to hell. You stopped being Dad when you walked out the door and left my mother to work two and three jobs to get by!

He stopped himself. This was too big to decide rashly. He needed to talk it through with someone - the one who understood him best. He clicked on his sperm donor's profile, but it told very little. There was a picture, but it was hard to tell if it was recent. He looked fairly good for his age. He didn't look like he was dying. One of Peter's first thoughts was he was reaching out from his deathbed. Other than a few pictures there wasn't much there. He didn't have many friends, but he may have just signed up to search for him.

The twins were restless, and it was almost time to take them home. He printed the message, folded the paper and slipped it in the back pocket of his jeans. When Megan met them at the door, she must have noticed the worried look on his face. "What's happened? Did someone die?"

"No, no one, but I need someone to talk to."

She sighed and moved aside so he could come in. He started. "Today was an eventful day. One was good and one not so." Reaching into his back pocket he handed her the paper. "This is the not good thing."

He waited while she read the short note. She looked as shocked as him. "After all these years? Just out of the blue?"

"Yup, the nerve!"

"Dad! I don't think so. You're a million times better dad than him."

Peter felt his heart swell. "Thanks, but what should I do? Ignore it? I drafted a response that tells him where to go."

"Could you talk to your mother?"

"I don't know I don't want to upset her."

"What about one of your sisters?"

"Maybe." He shifted his feet.

"I say think about it. I will too. Now did you say something about good news?"

"Oh, yes!" he smiled. "Guess who spent the night downstairs last night and was drinking coffee and reading the paper at noon?"

"No! Really? Very interesting! Becka's got a boyfriend." Megan sounded pleased.

"You know my first thought when I saw her car was I can't wait to tell Meg about this. I like talking again."

She gave him a small smile, but a smile all the same. He added, "I hate to mention the dad thing to Becka because she seems so happy."

She looked at him. "Are you happy?"

Peter thought for a moment. "You shouldn't ask questions that you wouldn't want to answer yourself."

When he left, Kristi was out with her dog again.

"Did you have a nice visit?"

"Well, if it isn't the nosy neighbor." He teased.

"You sound like Dan."

"Good man! I'll give you some gossip to feed your need. John and Becka seemed to be an item."

"Good for them, but you know what I'm starving for!"

"Not going to happen." He climbed in his car. He waved and smiled as he drove away.

Can you believe the nerve of that guy, contacting Peter after all these years?