Chapter 21: Threat of Joy

A/N: I am deeply sorry to all the readers I kept waiting for this chapter. For months, this chapter has constantly been on my mind, however, when I went to write, I couldn't. This chapter was super hard to write because I struggled coming up with content I was happy with and content that, you, the reader, would enjoy. After months of trying to write, this chapter is finally completed and I hope you all enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a week since Logan took me to the symphony. I never asked if it was a date, but it felt like one, not that I would know what a date feels like. I've never been on one. Now that I think about it, I don't know what it feels like to be in a relationship. With Nate, we never went anywhere or did anything. He only used me here and there. I know I promised myself I wouldn't let my feelings get in the way of anything, but with Logan I couldn't do anything about it. It was more his choice than mine.

Nate hasn't done anything in the past week—which is surprising—but I feel like I'm just waiting for him to do something stupid. On the other hand, Logan hasn't done anything either. After we held hands, that's all that's happened. He hasn't tried to kiss me, or even ask me out again. So far I've spent an entire week wondering if he hated last Friday night so much that he's totally changed his mind and just wants to be friends. He seems normal, but I've noticed a few times where he looks like he's going to say something, but he doesn't.

I was getting my books at my locker when I could feel his presence in the hallway. I smiled to myself hiding behind my locker door and then closed it. My shoulder leaned against the locker and I watched him making his way through the hallway. Logan had become the schools "golden boy". Every teacher loved him, every girl wanted to be with him, and every boy smiled at him like they wanted him to be their friend--which they did. Logan's eyes wondered the hall while people greeted him as he made his way closer to me. As his eyes landed on me, he smirked with determination while he shortened the distance between us.

"Hey," he voiced softly as he stood inches away from my face with a sincere smile tugging at his lips.

"Hi."

"Don't make any plans tonight, okay?" He looked down at my books and took them out of my hands. Logan carried them with one hand and took my hand in the other. I followed him as he started walking.

"Sorry, I already have plans," I replied trying to hide a smile.

"You're kidding, please tell me that's a joke," he glanced down to me with a worried look.

"Yes I'm kidding, why? What are we doing?"

"It's a surprise."

"Is it something something bad?" I asked feeling concerned.

"I don't think so," he answered as we approached my fourth period class.

"Jeez, I'm nervous now."

"Don't be, I'll pick you up at seven," he handed me my books as we stood just outside the door.

"Okay . . . bye," I shot a smile and turned around to leave, but he didn't let go of my hand. He pulled me back and backed me up against the lockers. "What--" suddenly his warm lips were softly pressed against mine. It was a short kiss, but a deep one.

I bit my lip as he kept smiling as if he knew the effect he had on me, "See you tonight, Jones."

I nodded while stupidly smiling at him and walked into the class. I sat down and looked at the doorway only to notice Logan leaning against the wall outside. He kept his gaze on me and I gestured him with my hand to go. He took out his phone from his pocket and typed something while smiling at the screen.